A Dry night

kip270

Well it has been nice to get a break in the wet weather, but will it last as they say we are in for more rain??

Couldn’t get out lamping last week due to working nights, but having the weekend off, Sunday night would be a good chance to get out.

Dan rang me earlier in the day and asked what I was doing tonight, “Well as long as the rain stays away we will be lamping”, not that I mind lamping with a light rain, but when it’s chucking it down I would rather spend my time watching Randy Anderson coyote shooting.

Dan’s girlfriend’s cousin (called Dan also) is a keen shot-gunner and being 14yrs old, has done a bit of lamping, but now it was time to be out with the real lampers.

There was a lovely westerly blowing, so this would make lamping this bit of permission easier.

Tonight we had the Foxpro FX3, the .17hmr & my .270, I was also the lamp-man while Dan no2 would be the back up lamp-man, but after a bit of thinking I put him in the hot seat as that’s the best way to learn.

He was armed with my Clulite while I had the Lightforce, and having them go against each other I know why I like the lightforce better.

We got into the field and set up, talking Dan no2 through our safety procedure, our lamp-man always walk on our left hand side until told otherwise, that way we always know where he is. “Also that no matter how exciting it may get if told to stand still you do just that and never come forward of the rifle-man”.

We were all happy so we were off.

Dan 2 put the lamp on, but was shining it 40 yards in front of us, so I told him to pick it up as we always look further into the fields. After a few minutes Dan was getting his hair off “shine it up along the fields” with a few choice words put in there (I’m sure you can all guess what they were).

“Ok Dan 2, let me show you what we need you to do” I said, taking the lamp from him and showing him how we do it, then I spotted a bunny which Dan promptly dropped with the .17hmr.

Dan 2 was happy so I let him have the lamp back, and we were off again.

We got to some stubble fields and had a scan around, no sign of anything, then a rabbit, Dan put that in the bag also. I gave a few squeaks but nothing, so we walked to the end of the field and had another call, still nothing.

We walked through a gateway and scanned about, and again I gave out a few squeaks, then over the top of a hedge I spotted a Fox, but it was off like a rocket. I got out the Foxpro and put it on KISS OF DEATH, but this fox wasn’t having any of it.

We continued around the field when we spotted a Barn owl out hunting, and what a sight to see.

Then I scanned around and up along the other side of our permission, Bling there was a set of eye’s, approx 400 yards away, and walking down the hill towards us. We got into the next field and sat down by some bales, then I got out the Foxpro and walked 40 yards in front of us and returned to our firing point.

Now what sound shall I put on??? There are just too many to choose from…….so we just sat and watched for a while. The fox wasn’t bothered by the lamp at all, so I put on the fox cub distress, this seemed to get it’s attention, but not committed at all, so I switched it to rabbit squeal and this started to draw it in. It then sat and looked so I got out my range finder and pinged it 376, so turned up the volume but it still sat there, so pressed mute for a few minutes and then changed it to Chicken distress. It was like flicking a switch, but now the fox wanted to get down wind of us, so headed off to our right, so I stood up and scanned around, the Foxpro still on so up with the volume. I caught a glimpse of the fox as it heading into a small wood, this fox was putting the down wind sneak on and in the process it must of covered at least 8-900 yards. Then I caught it at the top end of the wood, and now getting close to being down wind of us, so I upped the volume again and then it headed down the edge of the wood and seemed to be commited.

I gave Dan my .270 and said that as soon as he got a chance to take the shot (I have been out and checked the zero and it’s spot on) the fox then stopped and turned back then stopped sat and looked at us. BANG, Dan squeezed off his shot the fox dropped to the shot.

I pinged it with my range finder 262 yards, Dan’s furthest shot to date.

Dan 2 said he thought it would a dog fox but both Dan and I said it would be a vixen from the way she was acting, and we were right.

106_0327.jpg

A great night and a good learning curve for Dan no2 and also a fitting end to our foxing season for 2007-2008, as we started again last September when I moved back to Wales.

So here is to a new season and hope it was as good as the last one but a lot drier.

Dan the shooter and his fox

106_0331.jpg

Dan & Dan (think you can tell which one is Dan the lamp-man)

106_0333.jpg

Guest varmartin

A good read...well done all of you.

Dan must be pleased as punch with his fox....and so he should be.

Its great to see the young lads enjoying a night out with the lamp....better than beer !!

Archived