THE TROUBLE WITH MOBILE PHONES

nemasis243

Went down to a new farm last night , only 150acres but it all on the side of a big hill, the place aint been lamped in 8yrs according to the farmer and the farms eitherside dont allow shooting,

I knew that there was no hope of shooting these two but called anyway to introduce myself and explain what I would be doind and notto panic if they saw a lamp glancing around, there were real good about it and off I set,

My mate Simon come with me and did the lamping for me, we set off from the farm yard on the quad and the first gate we come to a charlie was sitting the other side of it about 80yrds, that was one in the bag :blush:

Further into the same field we saw another which ran to the hedge and stopped about 160yrds away, He didnt go anyfurther, the old 243 hit him like a brick ;)

We got up to a high point and started calling and another two pairs of eyes come into view, the fox on the left come bounding in followed by the ther which was 80 yrds behind it, when the first one was about 60yrds I said stop him Simon , back one first, as we have done so much together he knew what I was on about straight away, Simon gave a loud OH! and they both stopped dead in their tracks , I shot the further of the two and the lamp followed the closer one back down the field , after about 100yrds the fox stopped and looked back and that was the last he ever saw, ;)

We got on the the quad and drove and picked them up , so I got the mobile out and had a quick photo shoot, This was a big mistake, I put the mobile on the front of the quad afterwards as we were putting the foxes in the basket on the back of the quad and forgot about it,

Drove down to the main entrance to the yard and put the charlies on a slab ready for the farmer the next day, we put the quad on the trailor and drove down the lane to exit the farm, as we did Simon was lamping a rough piece of scrub land on his side of the truck, stop he said, I had eyes there.

We pulled up and I got the gun on the bonnet of the truck ,Simon put the lamp back on and gave a few calls and there was charlie sitting about 100yrds away, a 58grn Vmax went straight and true down its nose and that was that, I went in with the spare lamp and pulled out a nice size vixon.

So that was 5 and we had more to do, we drove over to a farmer who breeds pheasants, once again off we trecked on the quad and after an hour had another 4 foxes in the bag,

Now the fun started ,wheres my phone , broccoli the last place I remember was putting it on the quad, well this all happened at at about 12 last night and to get back to where I lost it would have taken a fair while so i decided to go back this morning and have a look for it , I had a general idea and borrowed my sisters mobile and kept dialling it and then hang up when it went to answer phone , after about 10minutes I found it thank God,

Anyway I had a good nite and learned a lesson (again) cheers Andy

29082008194.jpg

Another nice result for you Andy,i remember one lad a few year ago got home and ask'd his brother where the 22 was and he told him he didnt pick it up he only went and left it proped up against a wall on the roadside so it was a 2 and a half hr return trip back to scotland for him luckily for him it was still there

The phone was not far from the charlies in the photo, there was a bit of an old quarry there thats where I took the photo, I dont think it would have survived in the wet grass mate.

How did you get on the other nite with Dave and Ray?

Guest varmartin

It was a lovely still night, we called in a couple of foxes.

Dave had one with his BR Ray had one in his sites but it would not keep still long enough to drop...

They went out again last night but have not heard how they got on yet.

Archived