440 yard bunny.

6mmBR

Well I'm in not so sunny Cornwall staying with Ray for a bit of varminting. The weatherman has lied to us the last few days, promising sunshine which we are yet to see. Sadly mist and drizzle has been the norm, luckily it has not stopped us getting out. The local vermin though preferring to stay in their burrows so things have been quiet.

Any way things improved yesterday and Ray and I met up with Martin ( Varmartin )

We trundled off to Harolds farm for a bit of 500 yard target practice, due to the light winds are results were very pleasing.

Martin getting the best group with his 6BR of around 2 1/2" and with my 6.5x47 we each shot a group and they averaged a respectable 3" at 500yards.

Any way as we left this field we glassed a bank and spotted a few bunnies we each had a shot with my 6mmBR and connected with bunnies at 281, 273 and 221 yards.

Ray then spotted one high up on a bank hiding just by a gorse bush, he pinged it with his Leica and it read 440 yards.

I dialed in the corrections, the bunny obligingly sat up and I sent a 87 Vmax on its way and I watched the round literally explode his head.

A good start to the proceedings :blush:

Later we met up with Chris for a bit of foxing.

Hopefully Ray will post some pictures soon and I'll report on the foxing soon.

Having a great shooting break thanks to the guys.

Cheers

Dave.

Nice writeup Dave......... :blush:

Nice to have you down a again and a very nice 440yd shot too!!!! :D;)

heres some pictures.............

DSCF3282.jpgDSCF3284.jpgDSCF3286.jpg

Things have been a bit quiet with the varmints but still able to have some fun when they decide to come out and play!!!! :D

And as always - its a pleasure to do some varminting with other varmint hunting enthusiasts!! :D;)

All the best..........................

RAY................................ :D;)

Nice going lads at least you got a break in the weather been crap up here 500 yd practice must be fun especialy with the groups you are geting, do you use the windflag all the time and nice shot on the rabbit Dave

nice one dave long range bunnys are the bizz, just sorted out a new range finder this week so i hope i can join you guys with good long results rgds dave. :blush:

Guest varmartin

It has been a lot of fun catching up with you again Dave, and must congratulate you on a very pleasing to watch 440 yard head shot bunny.. :blush:

As you said, the weather had started to get more like it with light winds so 500 yard target practice got under way...

Nice of you to say my group was the tightest, and very pleasing it was to see my BR load of 95 Berger VLD over 31.5 grains of Reloader 15 / CCI br4 primer still doing the business.

Here is a picture of that group...it actually measured 2.245 inches centre to centre.

Picture shown as close to actual size as possible.

img2186bf6.jpg

Thanks for that Martin, it was a great group.

Congratulations on that 597 yard bunny yesterday it was a pleasure to watch :wacko:

After you left with Ray yesterday I managed a rabbit at 507 yards on the right hand side side of the field.

Chris and I were chuffed.

It was great to catch up again.

Cheers

Dave

Guest varmartin

Shame you was working on Friday ........Could have all got together....

Heard you was down Helston all day on Saturday collecting a new toy.....Have you tried it out yet ??

We had a good 4 hours Sat afternoon, but I could not get to yours as my 4x4 lost its drive on the front axle Friday night and it was making a horrible noise.

Ray kindly picked me up and we went out in his zuki so had no say in the matter as to where we went.

Hope you had some good shooting today......I was gardening this morning then waited in while the sky man fitted a HD box and new dish this afternoon.

Sorry you feel bitter about not catching up...I never meant too leave you out the fun.

The last time I saw a hand shake like that Ray is when I was at lodge ^_^

Glad you guys had some fun , I see you got the old 6.5x47,s out for a spin there Dave ,hence the ear muffs. :rolleyes:

I see the Captain has a new pair of wellies he is breaking in ready for his return visit to Wales, :ph34r::lol::lol:

Thats one hell of a group there Martin , you gota be chuffed with that ;)

Good shooting you guys,glad you saw some good weather and had some fun.Martin well what can I say mate I,m draggin weed with my brn at the moment seems to be grouping at 100 superbly but that which promotes growth and vigour happens further out,dont know how I have been connecting at all with anything over 350???,not had much time to sort it out but going back to a lighter head and faster powder given my barrel has only got an effective 22inch barrel.

Been building up brownie points with Mrs onehole playing golf!!!!in the good weather slots so not much to report from over this way.Regards anyway you guys and superb shooting.cheers Onehole.

Guest varmartin

Hi Andy.....yep, I am very pleased with that group....my BR is shooting very well at the moment as it loves 95 Berger VLD`s and 75 Vmax too.

That group was a first 5 round cold bore group shot after a vigorous barrel cleaning with Hoppe`s Elite copper remover/bore conditioner. :D

I then went on to shoot a 597 yard bunny with a 75 Vmax......ooooowww you just gotta love the BR Norma...its gotta be a `Norma` :P

Guest varmartin
Good shooting you guys,glad you saw some good weather and had some fun.Martin well what can I say mate I,m draggin weed with my brn at the moment seems to be grouping at 100 superbly but that which promotes growth and vigour happens further out,dont know how I have been connecting at all with anything over 350???,not had much time to sort it out but going back to a lighter head and faster powder given my barrel has only got an effective 22inch barrel.

Been building up brownie points with Mrs onehole playing golf!!!!in the good weather slots so not much to report from over this way.Regards anyway you guys and superb shooting.cheers Onehole.

Dave....we will have to get together with Silent ASAP....and do some long range testing and get your BR up to `scratch`you know its `got it`...just a matter of ` findin it`

My 75 V max are 0.050 off the lands and the case is stuffed full of R15.... ( a compressed load ) using a CCI BR4 primer.

Thanks Martin will give e a ring soon to discuss.Gone back to 80nosbt and 135 I know that works but will have to wear this barrel out and get a longer tube to get those heavy 6mm to a decent velocity but when the 95,s go down .2/.3 at 100 why do I get 3 inches or more at 300?not good enough you know that too?!I aint that crap---doin too much golf praps,cheers anyway.onehole.

Cheers guys, just got home today. Sadly we blanked on the deer. Plenty of hinds and calfs :angry:

Sorry we didn't get to catch up Jamie on Saturday as we only had a couple of hours as Ray had to pick his daughter up at 6pm. Hows the toy you were picking up :o sounds a lot of fun :o

Hopefully we'll catch up next time as we had a great crack on the quest for the 1000 yard bunny :o

Cheers

Dave

Archived