Nitrided rifle parts

Treedave

Has anyone any experience with getting an action nitrided (salt bath, plasma or whatever). I'm considering it as a way of corrosion proofing a stainless action with tight tolerances. The tolerances are so tight that if you tell them you're going to cerakote it, they machine a little more off to make room for the paint.

Any advice/experience welcome.

Nitriding of actions needs to be approached in an intelligent manner. The temperatures reached during the process can temper components altering their hardness, and in effect leaving you with case hardened surface and a soft core. This may not become an issue during normal use, but if you happen to have an overpressure event the failure can be catastrophic and you may well say goodbye to parts of your face and or hands.

In my opinion a smarter process is Diamond Like Carbon or DLC coating, this is a vapour deposition process that occurs at much lower temperatures and is unlikely to alter the underlying metallurgy.

If you want any more info on getting this done please PM me.

My Barnard SM was TiALN coated. Pete Lincoln from Roedale used to offer this as an option. He outsourced the work. I particularly like the finish which 11 years later hasn't marked, chipped, worn or corroded one little bit . I've read up on the process and it does require heat treatment to apply. Whether that's affected the metalogy I don't know, however when I had an excess pressure issue about 18 months ago which damaged the extractor on the bolt there were not catastrophic effects; I'm still here!

I'm about to get a 284win built by Mick @ Dolphin and I'd definitely consider TiALN again if it were easily available. Does anyone know of an RFD that offers TiALN?

My Barnard SM was TiALN coated. Pete Lincoln from Roedale used to offer this as an option. He outsourced the work. I particularly like the finish which 11 years later hasn't marked, chipped, worn or corroded one little bit . I've read up on the process and it does require heat treatment to apply. Whether that's affected the metalogy I don't know, however when I had an excess pressure issue about 18 months ago which damaged the extractor on the bolt there were not catastrophic effects; I'm still here!

I'm about to get a 284win built by Mick @ Dolphin and I'd definitely consider TiALN again if it were easily available. Does anyone know of an RFD that offers TiALN?

TiALN is a vapour deposition coating applied at lower temperatures than salt bath nitriding, it works amazing well on Carbide tools cutting without coolant, and actually gets harder the hotter it gets so I'm sure it was a great durable finish.

Do you know anyone who appies it to firearms in the UK Dan?

I don't think Pete Lincoln offers the finish anymore and he seemed to have great difficulties getting it done at the time. I'd rather keep the work this side of the Channel this time.

It's a lovely finish. It's predominantly black with hues of reddy purple a bit like the way case hardening finish looks on old underlever cowboy guns or high end side by side shotguns.

Do you know anyone who appies it to firearms in the UK Dan?

I don't think Pete Lincoln offers the finish anymore and he seemed to have great difficulties getting it done at the time. I'd rather keep the work this side of the Channel this time.

It's a lovely finish. It's predominantly black with hues of reddy purple a bit like the way case hardening finish looks on old underlever cowboy guns or high end side by side shotguns.

Let me speak to the company I use and see if they offer that coating, Otherwise I can highly recommend DLC which I can certainly do for you.

Thanks Dan. I guess both can be applied after proofing. The action is a Sako 75 IV.Do both take to stainless steel? I'd prefer a stainless barrel.

Yes Stainless or Chrome Moly

Archived