A night out on a mule with a TAC driver.

6mmBR

Well I think in this country we're at severe risk of rusting away. I've been trying to get out and test out a TAC .20 that Neil put a barrel on for me. I've tried it on paper and thanks to Craigyboy's data its shooting like a dream.

DSCF0794.jpg

Well the weathers been terrible the last few weeks and I've not been able to get out to try it in anger.

Well yesterday I headed down to Andy's to meet up with himself and Gethin (Young1982)

The plan was for some a pub meal and some evening bunny bashing, followed by a ride around on the mule to shoot some foxes and Gethin on the bunnies with his HMR.

We met up at our usual pub for a bite to eat first, to set ourselves up for the long evening ahead.

By dam those rib eye steaks are good :D

All finnished up we set of to our first venue. The weather was still not good with showers, but the met had said it would dry up by dark.

So we set up under a big old oak tree for some shelter and got ready for some action.

DSCF0803.jpg

I was eager to christen this little .20TAC, targets in the bad weather were few and far between.

Gethin and Andy eagerly looked for bunnies.

DSCF0800.jpg

Finnally one came out a 251 yards, I dialed in the correction of 1.5 MOA( this cartridge is flat shooting)

and sent a 40gn Vmax on the way, pop a direct hit with my first shot with the TAC ;)

This cartridge is so soft to shoot no recoil and you can watch your rounds into target.

I managed another bunny at 182 yards, those 40 Vmax make a mess.

DSCF0805.jpg

Failing light put an end to our game so it was off to get the mule :D

DSCF0812.jpg

We loaded our gear on board, me in the back with the TAC, Andy driving and lamping and Gethin riding shotgun with his HMR to knock out the bunnies.

Well the mule is awesome, just the tool for the job and it makes a superb shooting platform.

We set off in the mule heading for a dairy farm. Well dam me the first field beneath the yard there was a pair of eyes in the hedge.

Andy started to call and the fox responded trotting towards our position. It got to around 100yds and stopped, it went no further a 40gn Vmax stopping it in its tracks. The first fox for the .20TAC and also the first of the night :D

We drove around and Gethin was making short work of the bunnies with his HMR shooting out the side door.

We saw another 2 foxes but they did not want to hang around.

One was in a bailed field and Andy said we can drive around the other side to see if we could cut him off.

Off we sped in the mule and 5 mins later we were at the top of the field.

The light went on and the fox was in the hedge. It made a run into the field but was dodging in between the bails.

Andy shouted Oy and it stopped to look back.....fatal I was tracking it in the scope it stopped I fired it was dead.

This was a satisfying shot, range finded by Gethins legs ;) at around 180 yards.

Andy wanted to have a crack with the TAC so I jumped in the drivers seat and he grabbed my rifle and ammo and hopped in the back.

Sadly the night went quiet on the foxes but Andy enjoyed himself head shooting rabbits with the TAC out to 100 yards :D

Gethin also had a go and bowled over a few as well.

I must say I was impressed with that mule and how well it handled the ground. I thought we were in the that which promotes growth and vigour in one gateway but her tyres dug in and clawed us through.

Well it was a cracking night as ever cheers Andy. Also it was great to meet up with Gethin.

we managed a good little bag and it was lots of fun.

DSCF0810.jpg

As ever with people met off this site good company and cracking sport.

Also I got to christen the TAC, cheers Neil :D

DSCF0809.jpg

Lets all hope the weather gets better.

I'm off down to see Ray at the end of the week so watch out for "Cornish Capers" later on in the week.

All the best.

Dave

Glad you enjoyed Dave :D , I was very impresse with the TAC20 , no recoil and very quiet you could shoot that all day, it was very funny as the HMR seemed to have more of a crack than the TAC ;) ,

Using those 40grners it dont half make some damage and seems to be very flat shooting as well :D .

I think Gethin enjoyed as well and it was great that you had chance to meet another UK Varminting Member .

It was like we were driving on water in some of those fields ,at one stage I thought theres no way shes comming out of this but out we came ,

Down with MR Toy eh :D , I wonder if Debbie will let him out to play ;)

Say hello to the Cornish Fruit Slayer from me, cheers Andy :D

You are right on the weather Dave been absolutly crap here apart from a couple of days i have been at work off all this week so lets hope it picks up,nice result with the tac mate and thet sure looks like one handy vehicle

dave,

good work with the .20,

I am well pleased with mine, i have been using N130 and that seems to send them out there pretty quick.

the batch of bullets im on at the moment are 32gn nosler ballistic tips, they are OK, very accurate but so fragile, on some cubs its blown a huge surface wound and they've had a wee bit of life left in them when we get up to them.

i managed a squirrel at 329yds the other day, aimed straight at him and flipped him right over ;)

keep up the good work

Last night I enjoyed very much indeed so a big thanks must go out to Andy for sorting it out, and to Dave for letting me have a go at some bunnies with his TAC .20

Lets hope in the months ahead we have some better weather so days and nights like that can happen more often.

ATB

Gethin

Guest varmartin

Good to see you boys out at it after all this bad weather....

The tac20 looks good and performs good too.

Sound like Neil is doing some very nice work .....again.

So you boys have taken to riding Mules now ??? the sheep will be jealous...that's for sure. ;)

See you when you come down to sunny Cornwall Dave..ps.... Bring more than one gun this time, I hear you have at least a couple ;)

Will do Martin, hope to catch up this time since your off aswell.

Thanks for the advice the other day, sadly though it was the alternator which had seized snapping the belt.

See you thurs/friday for some fruit slaying ;)

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave ,

Nice looking and sweet shooting rifle you have there!!!! :lol::D

Have been following the progress in the Small Caliber News over the years on the Tactical Twenty , sounds like a true sweetie!!!!

Nice to see Andy and his young apprentice out with you too!!! :D

Best wishes to you as well Andy or should i say Captin!!!!! :D :D

Not long now buddy till we meet again!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best................

RAY............................... :D;)

AH Captain , Daves heading down your way I hear, is Debbie gonna let you out to play :lol:

Not long till your up this way again , see you Buddy, get some pics of the shooting this weekend and get them on here.

Have a good one :D

AH Captain , Daves heading down your way I hear, is Debbie gonna let you out to play :lol:

Not long till your up this way again , see you Buddy, get some pics of the shooting this weekend and get them on here.

Have a good one ;)

Thanks Andy and i shall make sure i take a few pictures of the varminting forays!!!! :D

As for Debbie , shes a diamond mate , i have told her what i would like to do and she gave me her blessing!!! :D ( no rude stuff thanks!! :D :D )..................

Just hope them varmints come out to play now!!!!!!!!!!

All the best Captin...................... :D :D

RAY......................................... :D;)

Cheers lads, well the guns are packed and I'm off to shoot some Cornish varmints for a while.

I'm staying with Ray for a few days then off to Bodmin for a couple more to try and get on some roe.

Sadly the TAC.20 is staying at home as I've not had any time to do any reloading.

The trusty 6mmBR is packed so look out.

Cheers

Dave

Archived