Foxing with the .270

kip270

Well finally we had a break in the weather, the rain that we’ve had over the last few weeks is just so depressing, another great British summer.

I took my .270 with me tonight, Dan being the lamp man and my FoxPro Fx3, as this has been the first chance of putting this to use too since I bought it at the CLA this year.

The wheat fields have finally been cut so more land is now open to us, so hopefully we would find something having a mooch for some easy titbits.

We walked through two hay fields that still haven’t been cut due to the rain and then we came to the wheat fields and had a scan around first, no sign of eye’s, then we spotted a Barn owl flying to wards us, so we watched it for a while and it came to within 50 yards of us and then swung off to our right. Dan followed it with the lamp and I had a little lip squeak to see if it would turn, then we spotted a set of eye’s in the stubble.

Dan kept the lamp on it and we got 100% id, we had a Fox in the field, so I tried with my Wam call and it started to come into us, the wind was perfect blowing into our faces, so I kept calling but softly.

Then we lost sight of it?? Dan kept scanning the field and nothing, so we got through the gate to try and get a better look, but sweeping the lamp across the field and still squeaking we saw nothing.

There was a bale in the field which had collapsed, so we made our way to that, and scanned the field again, but still nothing. I got out the FoxPro and put it on Fox cubs, placed it 20 yards away from us and pressed the remote control.

Scanning the field we spotted our fox but it was on the brow of the hill, not a safe shot, but it was showing some interest in the FX3, but not totally commited, so I changed the call to “KISS OF DEATH”.

This really got it’s attention and started to swing to our left, trying to get upwind of us, I was resting on the bale and was waiting for the shot, the fox now moving to a better position for a shot. I said for Dan to stop the fox so he shouted “Oi”. The fox stopped and I was on it’s chest “BANG” the fox started to make off!!! I missed, so quickly reloading I was ready again, keeping on the fox it stopped again “BANG” again I missed?????

No things were not looking good, another round in the chamber and I was ready again, “BANG” my third shot missing??????

Had my rifle had a knock since I had been out?? Was it me?? I was not very happy at all, three shots and three misses!!!!

The fox had made off into the next field, and on my last shot I thought I hit it, it sounded like a hit, but with the ground being so wet it could also be bullet strike into the very wet ground.

We followed the fox and scanned the next field, and there it was making off down the hedgerow, I quickly got onto my varmint sticks and was following the fox in the scope, it was broadside so I kept just on it’s head. Dan was shouting trying to stop the fox, then it stopped before it tried to get into the hedge “BANG” “PLOP”, the fox dropped on the spot.

We got to the fox and it was a Vixen cub, and a head shot, so Dan done his best to place it for a photo without being too graphic.

Foxingwith270001.jpg

We then decided to call it a night as after 4 shots I really want to get out and check my zero.

Nothing worse than being unsure of your zero, it does nothing for confidence, as you said best to get it on paper ASAP.

What load are you using in your .270

Cheers

Dave

Winchester 130 grain, and last time i was out my zero was spot on all under 1" @ 100 yards, the lower group was my final ones, 5 shot group

270zeroing031jpg-1.jpg

.270 does make a mess of foxes. Reminded me of a bloke i knew who had some pictures developed at Boots(when that was the only place to go), but asked his wife to pick them up. The manager saw her and asked her not to bring in graphic photos like that again. Poor woman didnt have a clue what he was on about til he showed them to her.

Her husband was right in the doghouse, but when i saw them they were fearsome. Turned me over a bit.

Archived