Cowsmart

It's rather unlikely that the powder Federal use in their factory load will be easy to find out,and it's possible the soft tip bullets also won't be available as components. Fed understandably want to sell their factory ammo-the good news is that your BSA222 likes it,so you have something good to shoot.

You don't say whether the Sako loading is factory ,or handloaded,and if so what spec...the Fed factory is,I think,3140fps,BC.232 (FWIW).More goodish news-the 222rem is not usually finicky about loads-but you know it does not like (some) Sako load.....and it is an old rifle.

You will know that individual rifles can have their preferences-even between same model,same chamber-and age will not make that less so,so what works for one,may/not transfer to yours.

Really,there isn't much option but to try 'similar' loads-there are eight US made 50g loads;the rifle may like the newer 40g H/Fed/Nos options,but less likely to shoot above 52g well-one reason there not many such loads.There are Euro loads too,like Norma,RWS,SAKOand a few lesser ones-PP,S&B.

If that seems quite a list,then homeloading simply multiplies it with powder options.I've used V133 and 40g to exceptional effect in an older Sako 222,but other options work well too.You might experiment

forever-and some do!

There will be other good loads,but how much are you willing to invest in finding them? Reloading savings,but not hassles,might be modest unless you intend to shoot the rifle a lot.If a few bullets didn't work with v133,I'd consider buying some of the Fed factory Power Shocks the rifle likes.

gbal

the sako are factory...and the paper is like a shotgun....I loaded a few v max using benchmark (50gr) and they were grouping well but im after a more meat friendly bullet head...I shot a roe yesterday with the federal which dropped to the shot at 150 yards. I bought the gun and 40 federal and 60 sako for £100, then spent £400 screw cutting it and fitting it with a new SL5 mod....starting to really like the .222

OK-that is good news about the Federal effectiveness on roe- the 222 was once a favourite borders roe cartridge (and with the old style exposed soft lead bullets I recall Norma being good back then.)Given what a roe carcass is worth and what a Fed cartridge costs,you are well ahead-one way to look at it is that the saving if reloading is virtually the brass case-and you have that from the factory round,for future use,with no capital investment in dies etc needed. That alone is over 50 roe. Check your freezer!

Of course,I'm not saying reloading could not be as effective-more that meanwhile you really have little to loose ,esp if you could sell/trade the "shotgun" load...which is most unusual for quality factory loads,but there it is.

I'd not go for lighter bullets for roe-50g (maybe 52)-but have to be effective.222 is a very nice cartridge.

Enjoy.

gbal

thanks for knowlegable input, much appreciated, I am a recreational stalker and shoot for freezer and friends...i reload for .270 .22-250 ( new gun after xmas) and dabbling with .222....the .222 seems to hit harder than .22-250, thinking it dumps all its energy in the deer rather than punching through? had a few runners with the .22-250 and lost confidence hence the ne 1:9 twist 22-250 to throw some heavier pills...

regards Lee

Lee,there may be something in the 222/22-250 difference-mind you,keepers etc often wanted to upgrade to the 22/250 and it is a very competent varmint (and roe) cartridge.

A lot depends on the terminal effectiveness,of course-and the 22/250 is a fair bit faster-which gives increased varmint range,as you know-but roe effectiveness needs the right bullet,just as you say- a matter of construction,as much as weight. What restricted the 243 as varminter-still does-was a long range small varmint bullet-which the 22/250 can now have. No doubt at all 22/250 can do the roe/varmint jobswith the right bullets-just as some very frangible varminting bullets (more available now) in any 224 are not the bullet needed for roe (serious surface wounds (and ditto in 22/250).

One reason I came to prefer the 17rem for rabbits was the very reliable terminal performance-no exit damage,devastating internal hydrolic shock effect. Not that 222 was wanting,though.

I remember one year ( reds in Rosshire) when a visitor was extolling the merits of his Weatherby Magnum...especially many thousands of foot pounds energy,and the ghilie muttered just a little too loudly ("Aye,maist o' it wasted in the bloody heather"-too much penetration -sometimes) !

gbal

Archived