Solo foxing

Chunk

Went out last night over a sheep farm on downland looking for foxes. Twelve lambs were killed a few weeks ago, and although i had put the time in i shot only one fox which i didnt think was responsible anyway.

Most of the dead had not been eaten and none returned to. I had strong suspicions that a dog was responsible as the killing stopped as soon as it started. Probably because the owner had realised what was happening and either kept the dog on a lead or walked it elsewhere.No scats,runs or other evidence of foxes, but i did find dogshit. Theres a very popular bridlepath 200yds away.

However, being jonny on the spot, i was under a bit of pressure.

My regular mate was unable to come along so i fitted a cluson mount to my Howa in .223 and went solo. Also tried a new call by foxcalluk, which is a plastic unit with a metal reed.

First field had been harvested, but with a few bales left. Called for about fifteen minutes but nothing appeared, so i walked up over the ridge and headed for a large field that had a flock of sheep in it.

The call was comfortable to use and the pitch is adjustable by the amount of bite pressure. I used a David nickerson tripod for support and shone the torch about, picking up a red eye, which turned into two close together. Turned the torch off and called some more, then switched on again. The eyes had come to about 100yds and looking though the scope i could see a low slung shape weaving through the long grass. It became fox shaped, but was trotting along in an arc trying to wind me, moving a bit too fast to try a moving shot, so i squeeked again and it changed direction and headed straight in.

I took the shot and the fox dropped. On inspection the 50gn v-max had taken care of business, and killed outright though a chest shot. It had come within 40yds.

Cut the tail off and left it where the farmer would find it, and carried on but nothing else appeared, a lot of the cereals had still not been cut, so a few places i had planned on checking i didnt bother with. Also the steady drissle had become steady rain so i decided to knock it on the head.

Compared to last year theres not a lot about. I saw seven in the same field last year, which is a hell of a lot for a three acre field, but not a lot this year, or on adjacent farms which seems to buck the trend elsewhere.

Havent had the .223 long and generally lamp on foot, but an enjoyable evening just mooching about on my own. Didnt take the camera on this occasion, but the fox was a healthy looking dog with good teeth, probably this years.

Its the first serious lamping effort recently as i`ve been asked mostly to shoot crows at range pulling the ears off wheat, although i had a vixen off a sheep carcasse at 200yds late evening which was a satisfying shot.

Cheers Andy.

Cheers. The cluson light comes with a shoulder bag which is handy. Using the cluson with .223 has highlighted the fact that a bit more power is required. Its ok for .22, and HMR, but i wouldnt have been happy taking a safe shot much beyond 100yds. Think i`ll look into getting a lightforce, but a hand held.

You say that lambs were killed a few weeks ago , how old are they now, its seems very late in the year for lambing time?

Its more like months. Time flies. :mad:

The farms been jungle for ages, but things are just starting to get cut, so i`ve been spending a bit more time there.

I use a Lightforce 140 mounted on the scope and can not fault it, the range is a good @ 300m without the filters and it doesnt blow the gun about in the wind

lfrmsm140_md.jpg

Whats the scope mount like on that. Is it easy to take on and off.

Well it sounds like your having fun there Chuck :mad: , the lightforce lamps give good light ,its just a shame the wireing aint up to much, they tend go go up inside the handle and are F88888ks to work on :) .

Good write up Chunk and congrats on the fox, do quite a bit of lone lamping myself hard work sometimes but worth it,i also use the scope mounted lightforce for lamping very light and easy to remove and replace

Archived