My quest is over

Well my quest is over and I have my Roe Buck that I was after as a birthday treat to myself.

Arriving at the Farm at 4.15am, the weather was looking grey and maybe some rain would move in as time went on.

My friend had been out last week after cull Bucks and had 11, and spotted some good bucks too.

We got to the first field and parked up, it was still quiet dark, but we spotted a young Buck led down to our left, then as we scanned the field more we spotted a Doe at 110 yards and then to her left a nice Buck, but he was bedded down and there was no chance of a shot. We waited for a bit more daylight to check if I wanted to take this Buck. After a good 20 minutes the Doe got up and started to move off, the Buck was up and sniffing her hoping to mate. He mounted her 3 times and then my mate said that maybe I should take him, as he was better than we first thought.

Slowly I got out of the landy and chambered a round in my .270, fitted my polecat bi-pod and made my way round to the other side of the landy, I got down on my knee’s and put a bit of a crawl on. The Buck and the Doe were now feeding on a falling down tree, the leaves were still lush and green. I got to my firing point and settled down, the Buck was facing away from me so I had to wait for a broadside shot. He was 140 yards away and intent on eating, then a Muntjac came out of the hedgerow and headed for the same tree the Roe were feeding on. My mate wants Muntjac shot at all times, so if after I shot the Roe Buck and I got a chance to take the muntjac to do so.

I waited for what seemed like ages, then the Buck turned to my right and gave me a broadside shot, I settled the cross-hairs and squeezed off my shot. I heard the bullet strike and the Buck ran 50 yards, then started to stumble and dropped, the Doe went running after him as if she was miffed he was making off. I had another round in the chamber and waited, then the Muntjac ran from the tree towards the hedgerow, I was on it and ready if it stopped, which it did so I squeezed off my shot and it dropped on the spot at 145 yards.

My first Muntjac, and I was happy with my shooting too, two shots two kills.

106_0138.jpg

106_0142.jpg

106_0145.jpg

We headed off to another bit of ground, hoping for another Roe Buck or Muntjac. We stood for a while and gave a few peeps on the call hoping to draw out another Buck, but after 30 mins nothing so now to try and stalk some. The ground was very wet (more like winter than summer) and it made stalking pretty hard, but we slowly made our way round.

We came to a small rise and then spotted a Roe Buck bedded down, we slowly mad our way to an oak tree and the Buck was about 30-35 yards away, not a care in the world or maybe too tired to move because of the Rut.

This Buck was lucky as he was not on our list, after 5 mins he got up and made off, a nice looking Buck though.

106_0148.jpg

We carried on and after some 100 yards I spotted a Muntjac crossing a small clearing, so we stalked closer, but because of the amount of foliage I couldn’t get a shot off, so I had to wait and hopefully it would give me a chance of a shot. I could see it through the leaves but it was face on, so I just waited and hoped it would give me a broadside shot.

It was a Buck and happy standing there feeding, then it turned and headed to my right, so I looked ahead and spotted a clearing, and if he got to that I could take a shot. This he did and then I squeezed off my shot and dropped it in it’s tracks.

106_0158.jpg

106_0159.jpg

A cracking morning stalking and some great memories to treasure, my mate was happy with my shooting and especially the first Muntjac, I just waited after I shot the Roe, and was on the Muntie in a flash.

Great write up Kip and some cracking photos :wub: , theres a few deer running about there and your mate wanting the munties shot on site as well,

it would be rude not to wouldnt it :D:o

cheers Andy

Well Kip ,

What can say buddy " well done " , by the sounds of it - it was a fantastic morning for you with a very nice looking Roe buck and munties!!!!

Could not be more pleased for you!!!!!!!!!!! :wub: :wub:

I have always fancied the idea of some munty stalking too!!!! :o

All the best................................

RAY........................................... :):D

Guest varmartin

Kip...looks like you had a very enjoyable time on the Roe and Munties....

I am envious of you, as not had iether for a while my self...

Good images and write up too :wub:

Well Kip ,

What can say buddy " well done " , by the sounds of it - it was a fantastic morning for you with a very nice looking Roe buck and munties!!!!

Could not be more pleased for you!!!!!!!!!!! :D;)

I have always fancied the idea of some munty stalking too!!!! ;)

All the best................................

RAY........................................... :D;)

ray dont you mean "munta stalking" i hear their are loads in camborne!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Great read almost felt as if i were there and good pics Kip very nice looking Roe ,looks like it had been a fantastic time and what a birthday treat

That was a great read Kip,and,you ended the day with a goodly bag of deer mate.Are there a lot of munties in S.wales?

Martin.

My stalking for Roe & Muntjac is in wiltshire, there are some fallow & red too.

Good Huntin Kip !!!

Are ya planin on havin the Roe mounted ?

308Panther

I have just boiled out the head and will just skull mount it.

Nice read kip, and well done on the Munty.

That practice shooting you "didnt" do at Bisley paid off then. :blink:

(dougy)

Yeh, with Ive shooting some good groups, i didn't need too :ph34r::wub:

I went out last sunday for some range work on one of my permissions :D

Here is my Roe buck boiled out and waiting for a plaque

Highmeadow003.jpg

Highmeadow008.jpg

Looking nice buddy!!! :);)

Any plans on where you are going to hang it???

All the best....................

RAY........................................... ;) ;)

In the living room for all to see ;)

Nice one mate !!! ;):)

I got mine in me bedroom with my first Roebuck ever shot ( my first deer ) and my Fallow Buck!!!!

All the best...............................

RAY.......................................... :D;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived