TAKIN THE MULE FOR A spin

nemasis243

I had a call from the turkey farm I was at the other day, had loads of crows around the 600acre farm and I was told that the mule was full of juice and to help my self to what ever I fancied to shoot. :D

Got the 6mmbr out and my bag of bits and pieces(binos ,range finder bullets and bunny bag) and left the house for a 5minute drive to where the mule awaited , so loaded up and away.

Left the main yard and first shot of the day was a magpie at 236yrds sitting on a huge muck pile. ;)

10082008182.jpg

Then moved into another field and did a crow at 363yrds .

10082008183.jpg

Drove down a long lane into a field that had huge mounds of used straw at the other end , at the bottom of this was a bunny sitting at 228yrds .

10082008180.jpg

I drove round for about 2hrs just seeing if I could safe shots on things, it was amazing as no one has ever shot there before in the day time and every thing was so placid it was unreal. :D

I went to the other side of the farm to let things quiet down a touch as I had accounted for 6magpies and 11crows and 1 bunny.

So I started driving through a rough field down towards a valley when I noticed movement on a bank that was a fair way off.

So stopped the mule and scanned with my swaro bins, there he was sitting out on the edge of the bank a nice size fox. ;)

I pinged him and he was 329yrds away so out with the pda and did the calculation ,dialed the scope and settled down to take the shot ,

I zoomed in on 20xmag and he was in mint condition and wasnt going to move so I just watched him for about 5minutes ,just to see if there was another fox with him , but nothing else showed, so flicked the safety off and applied gental pressure on the trigger and just seen his head rock back and he slid down the bank. :D

10082008184.jpg

I must say the mule is some tool and the manager has told me if ever want to borrow one,as they have 3, to use at night at other farms I am more than welcome as long as I look after it ,and have it back the next day,

A great afternoon and cant wait for next time ;)

Nice one Andy!!!! ;) ;)

Sounds like you had a cracking time , i bet you are glad you never sold that 6 BR!!!!! :D;)

And to have access to a mule - that just great!!!!!

All the best.......................

RAY....................................... :D :D

The place is alive with vermin mate , you would love it, the only thing is you have to wait till all the workers are off the place so Sunday afternoon is best.

I have been shooting there at night for a while now , I used to go out with the farmers daughter 22years ago but never ever shot a gun there back then.

I met up with her today and was introduced to her 3 kids , she had these way after I finished parking my bike there ,before you say anything mate ;)

These mules and quads have certainly moved on.

Went on a bombardier 500 I think it was the other week.

Farmers wife driving, me sat second, son on dog tray on the rear rack, trailer with some weight (deer) on and a right hill to climb. Well she gives it big licks and the young one thought it was fantastic. I was a bit unsure especially when we dropped the trailer off and was doing 35 back down the road. Being used to bikes I like to go a lot faster than this but with a women driving and me having no control it was exhilerating to say the least!!!!

Not being sexist or anything ;)

I have recently bought a JD Gator HPX for park deer work, it's working out very well. In a previous job I had Mules but they were very unreliable and very expensive to maintain, having said this, I think that Kawasaki have had to up their game now as the competition is growing. JC

Archived