Update to my vist to yorkshire

Well did it rain or what ? Right first off after a rain soaked drive up to north yorkshire with my wife and one of our granddaughters ( Charlie ) who,s 13. We decided that is Charlie and my self and with the advice of the under keeper to pay a vist to the Walnut plantation to see if any roe bucks were in residence. Well around 7-30pm we both walked along slowly to a wooden butt that faced up a ride that was the full width of the plantation,and got seated ready for any action that might occur. I did not know that 13 year olds could be so quiet ( I had to check a couple of times to see if she was still awake she was) well to keep Charlie interested I explained in which direction I expected the Buck if any would come. and her being Charlie wanted to know what you called baby deer. I told her that only humans have babies and animals have young ie piglets fawns colts cubs kitts leverts and such ( Now nanny as got to make alist of all the names of young animals) All this went on in very hushed whispers as though so big global secret was being discused. After half an hour or so things went quiet and I asked Charlie if she could tell me the names of any of the young animals we had discused earlier. after two or three tries she started to get them right.when all of a sudden out steps a young Roe buck ( 2 or 3 years old ) up with the rifle cross hairs centered on his neck squeeze the trigger a satisfying smack of a bullet finding it,s mark down goes the buck, a big smile from grandad. job done. Any way we both walk along to where the buck as gone down and when we get there Charlie asks if she can touch him and remarks that he is still warm and I have to explain that it takes a good few hours before it will go cold. I then place one of my fingers in the blood seeping from the neck wound and put a stripe on each of Charlies cheeks, when told the reason for this Charlie then decides to wear her stripes with pride and to tell nanny all about every little detail even about the gralloch which the keeper had to do because grandad fogot his knife. Well thats the end of the day thought I, thats untill Nanny and Charlie decide between them that they want to go to the pub, and grandad as one hell of a job trying to convince Charlie that it,s not good form to go to the pub wearing a blood stripe on each cheek. Will tell you all how we got on for the rest of the week later hope you enjoy our little tale Eric and Chanelle ( Charlie )

Archived