Auchencairn Roe

It was that time of year when a friend and myself venture up to the wonderful Auchencairn forest in Dumfries.

We arrived Monday night and after a good chat to the keeper we did a ride around to re orientate ourselves with the forest, we had been up 2 years ago and with clear felling and re growth the area looked completely different. Having sorted out our beat areas we set the alarm for 3.30 and went to bed.

Day 1 - Was fine and warm and although I seen two does and fawns no sign of the elusive buck, the scenery was breathtaking and after a wonderful morning stalk I went to pick Allan up to find he had dropped a fine yearling buck, when gralloching Allan had noticed the buck had one testicle hanging out and must have been in real pain, a good job he had wondered into Allans path. After a kip and a feed we were back out to highseats for the evening and although we gloried at the multitude of birds of prey - no sign of them damn bucks. Finished early approx 8:30pm as the weather deterioated and it was soon lashing down. Home to bed I think!

Day 2 - Up again at 3:30am weather still bad, a slow breakfast and coffee before we venture up to the forest, the mist was down and visibility was less than 50 metres in some cases, but this would blow in and out giving us tantalising glimpses of the open areas. Sadly the best we managed in the morning was glimpses of white rumps as the disapeared into the mist. Home a 9:00am for a kip and a feed and wondering what we could do in the evening as the weather had settled on torrential rain. We were out again at 5:00pm armed with heavy water proof ponchos we decided to sit out in high seats and brave the weather. It is suprising how miserable you can get sat in an open high seat under a tree in bad weather, sat up at 6:00pm I was ready to leave at 6:30pm, near suicide at 7:00pm and was just getting up at 7:30opm when movement don to my right indicated a deer had been couched down all night in front of me and was just getting up, a quick scan with the glasses showed he was a buck but he was up and trotting already, now waterproof heavyweight ponchos are great - until you want to get your bloody rifle from underneath them; fighting with both for what seemed an age I finally managed to get my cross hairs on his chest and my .300 winnie did the rest, I let him lay knowing full well he was down and pinged him with my range finder 102 yards. Suddenly not feeling so cold, unaware that I was wet through to my skin I climbed down from the high seat and went to find him. My smile could have lit the damp night as I noticed he was a nice little six pointer - persistence had paid off! I gralloched him and went to collect Allan and as he had not seen a living thing found him cold wet and very miserable. off to bed.

Day 3 - Up at 3:30 straight back to bed as it was still lashing it down, up the keepers larder for 9:30pm to dress, skin and butcher our deer that done we had and early lunch and decided on high seats for the final evening. The evening was light and suprisingly bright as the weather had lifted and we had bright spells, after sitting quietly for an eternity 9:00pm had come around and I had decided to call it a day, no sign of deer, foxes, birds of prey it was deathly quiet. I went to collect Allan and found him with another little yearling buck that he had shot at a huge range of 30 yards underneath the high seat.

so in all we had three deer in as many days, a great time was had apart from the horrendous M6 trip back, we had discovered scottish Bridies and maybe feasted on one or two during the week, but we did use skimmed milk!

CRIM0002.jpg

My buck, a pleasing symetrical six pointer

CRIM0003.jpg

CRIM0004.jpg

and some dark (sorry) views of the glorious Auchencairn forest.

CRIM0006.jpg

CRIM0005.jpg

perhaps I should set the clock on the camera as well!!!!!

cheers

GB

Hi Wayne ,

A great writeup and good to hear even with the bad weather that you had a successfull trip!!!! :)

Some impressive scenery too i should imagine!!!!!

All the best....................

RAY............................................. :D;)

Good read and a great result g.b it sure makes you feel better when you make contact with your intended target no mater how misrable you feel ,do a bit of shooting between castle douglas and dalbeatie and i think it borders Auchencairn forest ,some great scenery around there and a lot of roe

Archived