Andy-add in silent varmintor geographically-and see avatar-those sort of muscles sd to pulverise me on the (Aberdeenshire) pro highland games heavy events,(but not light and track) so respect,and asking the same question,really. It's a good one.

I was really favouring sound 'traditional' cleaning for all rifles,though suggesting special regimes eg for copper might have very limited returns for stalkers.Data is not great-an awful lot of beasts were well dispatched long before 'copper' on the bore (heck,even on the bullet) was recognised as as a factor in ultimate precision.

Very roughly,,it only came out-so to speak-with Bench Rest shooting-I'm prettty sure it wasn't a hot topic in the shooting press in the 50s/60s-though regular 'regular' cleaning was recognised as sensible. But of course .1 moa precision derives from the same source-and isn't a stalking prerequisite -which bit of the heart has a big hole in it is very much seconadary to it being intact!

I would have a different view if the degradation of 'unclean' barrels was significantly larger-30/30 l/a carbines have probably downed more deer than any other combo (and ditto wounded) but the imperfection is unlikely to be mainly due to uncleaned bores (though some of those bragging old timers were undoubtedly best kept downwind). :-)

Yep,better data-there could be quite a lot from stalkers-though few won't clean at all-and this makes up in numbers what individuals lack; and 'experiments'-clean/not and target shoot,to which anyone can contribute.

Cleanliness may be next to godliness,but as an atheist,I doubt that either are at the top of the predator factors,maybe nearer for their target equivalents,more finely measurable.

g

Archived