.22 versatile options.

andyham

Hi all,

Out this morning on the squirrels, and as I'm coming to the end of my current slab of 500x Winnie 42max Subs, thought I would try a couple of other options out. Need to settle on what to buy next.

Paced out approx 40 metres and did a few 5 round groups. The Winnies were perfectly passable at around an inch group, and seem to hit just a little harder - maybe psychological knowing they are 2 grains heavier than Eley etc?

Eley HP Subs next, had 500 of these before, and there is a ragged half inch group, which is easily repeated; they definitely have the edge over the Winnies! Will go back to Eley HP subs I think, accurate as ever. It seems to take a lot less effort to put in a tight group, they just shoot straight even off hand snap shooting in the woods.

Next a couple of rounds at the top and bottom of the power scale. CCI CB longs, these actually group pretty well, and deliver around 30ft/lb I got 100 with the intention of some ratting at close range, but so far have only used a handful to asses trajectory. predictably they hit low, but group at around half inch.

Finally the wildcard, CCI Stinger. These group amazingly well, but the racket they make is a big trade off. If anything they seem to group tighter than the Eley Subs! Maybe I should try some CCI subs?

So if I use Eley Subs for most work, CB longs for close range and the Stingers when noise isn't an issue and I want extra punch, I think I really am getting maximum versatility out of my Browning T bolt.

Anyone else using more than one round? I expect 90% and more of my usage will be the Eleys.

Hi,,,,Eley subs,,,,probably most peoples first choice for normal bunny culling,,,,wouldn,t bother with any lower powered rimfire rounds ,,,waste of time and money,,,,would rather use an air rifle,,probably very much safer too!. Surprised you get stingers to group? and yeah they make a noise so in this application perhaps we are now looking at 100 yards and up ,,,,time to consider 17,,,22mag or preferably small centrefire,,,,,O

Give these a go for lamping rabbits! I use RWS subs and Winchester Lazer Hv's both group great out of the CZ. Handily the Lazers are near exactly an inch high at 50m and bang on at 100m with a 50m zero for the RWS subs. Just something I'v noticed the RWS are a bit more lubed than the Eleys, don't know if this makes much of a difference.

Regards, Ben

post-13479-0-41089800-1469990040_thumb.jpg

I have a Hawke mildot scope on the T-Bolt, on 12xmag I have the Eley Subs centre crosshairs, the CCI CB longs 1 mildot low and the Stingers 1 mildot high. Pretty handy to have an instant reference for all three.

I have to disagree with you 'onehole' about the CB Longs, I am trying to minimise the number of guns I have, so as long as they group well I see them as a useful alternative to needing an air rifle.

Currently .22 rimmie and a .243 in my cabinet. Although I am seeing a use for something in the middle, .223 or .204?

Got rid of my two air rifles recently, as they just weren't getting any use at all.

'Buckhurstben' got a mate who has been searching for .22 tracer for ages, do you know a stockist please??

I have a Hawke mildot scope on the T-Bolt, on 12xmag I have the Eley Subs centre crosshairs, the CCI CB longs 1 mildot low and the Stingers 1 mildot high. Pretty handy to have an instant reference for all three.

I have to disagree with you 'onehole' about the CB Longs, I am trying to minimise the number of guns I have, so as long as they group well I see them as a useful alternative to needing an air rifle.

Currently .22 rimmie and a .243 in my cabinet. Although I am seeing a use for something in the middle, .223 or .204?

Got rid of my two air rifles recently, as they just weren't getting any use at all.

'Buckhurstben' got a mate who has been searching for .22 tracer for ages, do you know a stockist please??

If your looking to minimise,,,,, the 243 will cover anything a 223 or 204 will do.The 22 rimmy in my experience has never been reliable in maintaining an accurate calculable point of aim when moving through CB caps CB longs,,subsonic,,and the normal to high velocity range its just too much to ask or work with in a hunting environment and a need to work with all three let alone how your gonna get them loaded quickly for any given situation....Andyham I suspect you may have done the testing on paper and seen some workable points of aim?? wish you luck all the same,,,,,,One gun and multiple trajectories not for me but have seen a useful tie in to a workable 100 yard low power 223 zero and a 200 yard high power zero but to be honest once we are past the 100 yards why complicate it ,,,,,,,keep it simple rules ,,,,,,,,O

Thanks for your thoughts Onehole, I will be sticking to the rimmy and .243.

I really need to get the .243 out more, but currently I have a few pest control perms to look after, and its all .22 rimmy range stuff.

I almost always stick with the subs, but keep a few of the Stingers in my jacket. You are quite right, I do have a workable hold over for them, one mildot high is pretty much spot on at 30 to 60 metres, they do seem to shoot rather nice and flat; and I rarely push much past that with the rimfire. A lot of my time is spent firing from fixed position hides, clearing squirrels off the pheasant feeders or crows from the pig pens. Its therefore at predictable ranges.

Oddly, it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference using the subs, or the noisy stingers; the crows or squirrels come back to feed in a similar timeframe.

It isn't so much about the potential extra useable range, though that is a bonus; more the extra punch at short to medium range. Sometimes its nice to have a step up in performance, and the factory claims a drop of not much over 2 inches at 100yds. I have yet to verify this in the field, but seems plausible.

If anyone does hear of a .22 tracer stockist, please let me know. I have had no luck in my searches.

Andyham.

Archived