Deer head prep.

Come on then give us your tips. ;)

Whats the best way to get velvet off the antlers?

When I boil the head is bicarbonate of soda the best option for getting the skull white?

What else do I need to do or should do?

I have some potassium permanganate already, not easy to come by now we all build bombs ;)

Well as for getting velvet off, it's a pain, but after some work with long nose pliers it comes clean, and then deciding how to get that mature look on them.....

Once you have the head, put it in a COLD bucket for 24 hours, then you can start to skin the head, getting off as much meat as possible. Decide on what cut you want to make, ie; long nose or standard, and proceed to saw the skull.

You will need a large stainless pan (a stock-pot is great) but do not use aluminium as the soda crystals will attack it.

Set the head in the pan making sure not to get the pedicles in the water as they will bleach white, you may need to make some sort of holder to ensure it doesn't happen.

Boil for at least 30 mins with around 50grams of soda crystals until you see the meat falling away, then run it under a cold tap and start to clean it with a knife and pliers. Once you have the skull clean you need some peroxide to get the white clean look, cotton wool.

I then brush the peroxide all over the skull making sure not to get any on the pedicles, then wrap it in cotton wool and let it dry out for around 12 hours.

You should then have a nice clean trophy that will bring back memories every-time you look at it.

Cheers Kip.

Am I right in thinking the potassium permanganate will get the antlers the right nicotine stain look?

Wheres best place for good strength peroxide? hairdressers?

Permanganate of potash is spotable a mile off, the german shops sell a staining agent and a much better bleaching paste than hydrogen peroxide.

Personally I would treat the velvet with some formaldehyde ( chemists have it) as it very much represents the trophy and you can not easily duplicate the polish aquired by the buck thrashing and scraping as well as the staining.

The bleaching agent is available from RSD ( reloading solutions direct in tubs) I would buy 2-3 at a time it comes from Germany and works very well.

Redfox

Cheers Kip.

Am I right in thinking the potassium permanganate will get the antlers the right nicotine stain look?

Wheres best place for good strength peroxide? hairdressers?

Not sure about the potassium, i tried brown boot polish and its crap, my 1st Buck but only a yearling.

I bought the peroxide from a large supermarket, for a fiver.

Archived