Saying hello & .22 Hornet help.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I placed the order via their website and then they emailed me an invoice. I paid the invoice via BACS or Paypal (can't remember) and received an email receipt, followed by the bullets two weeks later.

Cheers,

Lee.

Here you go fella!

Doris was the contact and I've just checked the payment details and it was by debit card...bullets arrived faster than Doris said they would! :D

Dear Mr. Marshfield,

Thank you very much for your order. Please find attached your order confirmation.
The bullets are not on stock. Delivery time 4 weeks.
The shipping cost to UK are EUR 15,00.
For our foreign customer we usually sell against cash in advance or by VISA. Please pay the total amount of EUR 58,40 to our bank account 1931016 at Onstmettinger Bank eG, D-72461 Albstadt, IBAN DE88 6536 1989 0001 93 10 16, BIC GENODES1ONS. Reason for transfer: Order 26660.
We will send your order after approx 4 weeks the payment arrives.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thanks in advance and best regards
Doris Boss
STOPPER Schießsportausrüstungen GmbH & Co. KG
Hauptstr. 87 D-72461 Albstadt
Phone: 0049-(0)7432-90090
Fax: 0049-(0)7432-90091

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah ,

The 40gr Vmax are longer than std hornet rounds , and donot fit in the magazine , I single load them at the moment , would love CZ to make a new version of the magazine so , you could use the 40gr Vmax bullets .

The magazine is longer enough , as its the same as a 223 mag , BUT , as you know it has a spacer block .

Yeah ,

The 40gr Vmax are longer than std hornet rounds , and donot fit in the magazine , I single load them at the moment , would love CZ to make a new version of the magazine so , you could use the 40gr Vmax bullets .

The magazine is longer enough , as its the same as a 223 mag , BUT , as you know it has a spacer block .

I've used the 40-grainers in my CZ and they fed just fine from the mag? No problem with the olgive at all. (50's are another story though). My gun just doesn't like BT bullets, but works great with flat-based bullets. Lee.

Yeah ,

I've used the 40-grainers in my CZ and they fed just fine from the mag? No problem with the olgive at all. (50's are another story though). My gun just doesn't like BT bullets, but works great with flat-based bullets. Lee.

Still waiting for my HN bullets to arrive , how are your guys getting on with yours?

Spready, those bullets are taking their time ain't they? Have you called them and had a bit of a moan? I've only "killed" paper with mine so far and need to work on my loads. They're OK, but still not found the accuracy that I want / know the gun is capable of...just keep going until I get there I guess? ;-) Lee.

Had my bullets a few days now, done some testing. VERY pleased with the results much better groups using the heavy crimp. these bullets hit bloody hard!! :)

Told you they were good! I've just ordered another 2000 (rude not to).

Cheers

Clive

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to know they are doing the Business clive.

Mine should be here any day Leezie, what powder are you using ? I've got a few tubs on H110 and Imr 4227 to try? think clive getting good results with H110?

Spready, Somehow I missed your above post about powder...Doh! I used 13-grains of Lil Gun with 50-grain TNT's in my old Tompson Encore, but use 12-grains of Lil Gun and the H&N bullets now in my CZ. Both loads are set off with Remington pistol primers. Cheers, Lee.

Have you sussed out of they're expanding or passing through?

From using them for a while now I would say they are expanding. I had one fox that I shot just through the lower ribs and that had quite a pronounced exit. All the others shot further up in the denser tissue didn't have any apparent exit.

Furthest shot so far is a Rabbit at 180 yards!

Cheers

Clive

From using them for a while now I would say they are expanding. I had one fox that I shot just through the lower ribs and that had quite a pronounced exit. All the others shot further up in the denser tissue didn't have any apparent exit.

Furthest shot so far is a Rabbit at 180 yards!

Cheers

Clive

Thanks, I got sent some of these to try a while back by someone off of another forum, I hadn't got around to loading them yet, looks like I should give them a go as I use my hornet a lot and v-max are £25/100 locally now.

Thanks, I got sent some of these to try a while back by someone off of another forum, I hadn't got around to loading them yet, looks like I should give them a go as I use my hornet a lot and v-max are £25/100 locally now.

£25 for 100 V-Max...you're a lucky man!

I use the H&N's for paper-punching and foxes now. 12-grains of Lil Gun behind them. However, I have had a dog fox run, well, zig zag before falling over and almost dead. When I checked him over, my round had passed straight through his "engine room" at 90-yards.

Proper heart & lung shot with a hell of a thud on impact, but he certainly didn't drop there and then on that occasion.

I don't think the bullets expand very much (if any) at all. Exit wound of that particular fox was about the size of my fingernail and that was with it striking a rib during it's exit!

Lee.

It would be good to have rather moe field data on the terminal performance of these H&N bullets-users seem satisfied with their accuracy,for a Hornet,and they are certainly 'economical'.

There does seem to be some variation in penetration and knock down (well,there often is,but....).

Expanding should be mandatory for any sentient target (though some 22rf are acceptable for small rabbit at close range,for thosewho can brain shoot reliably).

"Non exit" does not mean "expanding"-it may well be a potentialnon expanding (enough) through and through that just did not have enough energy left to actually get through.

The only way to tell is by examining the fatal bullets for deformation of the right sort-"mushrooming"as it was once called-or just possibly splitting into several somewhat smaller pieces-though this latter is unlikely in these bullets.

Alternately a "hit and down" % above 90% woud be a good guide too.Most bullets "hit hard", but that is simply not enough-they just have to be terminal,effective near immediate .Of course,if you can examine the bullet wound etc,then they have probably been pretty effective,even if not quite 'drop on the spot' which is what should happen !

Is that how they perform,and for different species?

gbal

Good advice there gbal.

I use these primarily as a Rabbit round and they are 100% for that purpose.

I've also shot quite a few foxes with them when they were under 100 yards and there wasn't time to swap the magazine to the 35 grain v-max load. The only one that ran on for a short distance was the one shot lower down the ribcage.

Velocity will have a bearing on expansion. I still need to chronograph my load then others can compare.

Cheers

Clive

Thanks,Clive- good to have field confirmation of their effectiveness on rabbit-I doubt that all 22rf expand appreciably at distance (75y+) or that such expansion really is essential -though it would help and accurate HPs should be used if possible ( but see another post for possibly non terminal Vmax 243 on fox) -of course,a reasonable sample is needed,with good shot placement,as always.) Good shooting.

g

Archived