TOO MUCH FUN 2

nemasis243

A cracking write up Dave we had a very special day ;) ,

As you know I had 4 shots at that Charlie at 845yrds the last one as he was facing the hedge,as I thought when I said to you yesterday that he seemed to flop into the cover rather than walk or pounce in as they tend to do .

As I was pigeon shooting there today I decided to walk down to the spot and on the way shot a well on cub at close range , I very much cut him in half from about 10 yrds with mini magnums no.3 :o .

I got to the spot where he had gone in and there it was spots of blood on the grass ,I ventured in through the thick cover and the was charlie laying on the other side of a little stream with a hole right in his back end.

To say I was happy was an understatement, I pulled him out he was stinking as the old flies had started on him and he was blown up from the heat but I just had to take a picture :D .

The bloke who I was pigeon shooting asked me where did you shoot that from , when i showed him ,he laughed and told me to F**k **F , you never did that from there! I think I have opened his eyes.

17022008057.jpg

I wish we had gone and had a look for him last night but because of all the rush with Ian trying to move his cattle we had to get out of the way.

To finish off heres a picture of Dave sitting at his shooting bench ,an absolute must for doing this type of stuff its an exellent shooting platform that will rotate 360 degrees in harmony with the seat . ( Will I get discount from someone for plugging this :lol: )

25072008165.jpg

So this my friends is a very special write up for me , I have shot many things in my life and over 2000 foxes but this has to be the Icing on the cake so far for my vermin shooting :D .

A Big Thanks to Dave(6MMBR) and Ray(Varminter) you have helped so much in my long distance shooting and also to Niel (Dasherman) for my 6MMBR , I couldnt have done it with out you , thanks Guys , cheers Andy :D;)

Nice shooting andy. thats a long ways off. You and dave are having lots of long range fun these days, having loads myself made my longest kill yet during the week 478 yards on a bunnie, painfully close to the 500 mark just cant get into the right fields yet as the grass is too long, just back from shooting pigeons today with the tac20 longest one came at the last at 313 yards great fun, keep shooting while the good weather lasts :lol: Dasherman can sure build a good rifle he built my tac20 which is super accurate shooting groups under 3/4 of an inch at 300 yards and still keeping them at 1 1/4 inch at 400 yards, you can guess whos getting my remington 700 for a new barrel, torn between 22-250 ai and 6mmbr but seeing all the fun you and dave are having with youre BR's makes me want one bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave has just bought a tac20 from Dasherman , he cant wait to get it up and running.

I know I keep going on about it Craig but I have had rifles most of my life but this cal has opened up a new world and is cheap to run.

478 bunnie aint it great when you connect with the target at long distance, hope you get the 500 soon cheers Andy

Hi Andy ,

What a cracking shot mate!!! :lol::o

Was good to speak to you this morning to hear you talk me through the experience!! :D :D

As for helping you buddy , i did not do nothing mate - you are a very good shot / you have a very accurate rifle -load / and with f**k um all with exbal and windage meter you are ready to engage them distant targets!!!! :D

Well done on a cracking shot and a great writeup!!!!! ;):D

Well done too craigyboy on a nice 478yd bunnie!!!!!!! :D

All the best..........................

RAY...................................... :D;)

It was a cracking shot Andy and glad its now confirmed. Those first couple of rounds were so close and that last one we thought was good. The last range reading I took on him was a massive 848 yards he didn't even know where the first rounds came from he just looked around bemused until thud :lol:

It was a super day and as Andy and I are getting used to Exbal its putting us on the money or exceedingly close to it all the time. The wind is the element which catches us out, steady conditions are great its the changable ones which are the bugger.

Well done

Dave

Guest brieny1000
Here's a picture of where the 2 foxes were shot.

DSCF0771-1.jpg

Cheers

Dave

and i was very happy with a head shot on a bunny

at 262yrds wit a sako 75 .243 week before last.

super shooting.it must be some feeling. :lol::o

and i was very happy with a head shot on a bunny

at 262yrds wit a sako 75 .243 week before last.

super shooting.it must be some feeling. :lol::o

Nothing wrong with that mate, thats how Andy and I started off.

It just goes to show how we under estimate the abilities of our rifles although Andy and I are pushing the boundaries of this caliber.

Your .243 with the right loading is just as capable at these distances.

Your shot is excellent, just practice and try a little further each time.

I like Andy and Ray group shoot our rifles at 300-400-500 yards to know exactly what they're capable of, this gives us confidence and a high success rate at these distances.

Give it a go, you'll be suprised.

Cheers

Dave

Dave tahnks for putting the picture on mate with the indication of where the foxes where when we shot them , it looks a long way when your standing in the field looking straight down at them but I have had a look again from the side , the same as what we did from your boat where you shot the bunny at 850yrds :lol: ,

its a hell of a long way from that view mate , if I hadnt of seen with my own eyes, what can be done at these distances I dont think I would be able to believe it. :rolleyes:

Guest brieny1000
Nothing wrong with that mate, thats how Andy and I started off.

It just goes to show how we under estimate the abilities of our rifles although Andy and I are pushing the boundaries of this caliber.

Your .243 with the right loading is just as capable at these distances.

Your shot is excellent, just practice and try a little further each time.

I like Andy and Ray group shoot our rifles at 300-400-500 yards to know exactly what they're capable of, this gives us confidence and a high success rate at these distances.

Give it a go, you'll be suprised.

Cheers

Dave

ya it has started me off too...

bought a leupold rx 4 that night on spur of moment!!!

read a few reviews since and they dont look as good as i would have thought.

the 243 i used is a buddies who has just started the long range stuff as well.

he had his leupold rx3 which did the job that evening.

i have a 223 myself which was bought for lamping charlies but is going to start seeing daylight

and bunnies now...

:rolleyes::lol:

Guest Remmy

Fantastic shooting there guys and a great read, just getting into the long range stuff, my best shot so far is a 350yd half grown rabbit, dreaming for a 400+ shot soon rgds dave. :rolleyes:

A very big congrats Andy i bet it was real buzz when you found the fox,that's one awsom shot mate,wish i had the likes of Ray and Dave near me to teach me the ins and outs of long range work have to learn by my mistakes and quite a few of them but sod giving up to much fun when you do make contact

Its a shame mate your not closer as you said.

But we all learnt by the try it and see method so your not that far off track.

Cheers

Dave

Quite agree with Dave foxshot!!!!! ;):lol:

I think once you get your windmeter buddy you will find your hit count rising on those longer range shots , and remember we all miss - especially on the small pests we are shooting at!!!!

All the best...............................

RAY....................................... :D :D

Archived