308 heaven

hi guys,

well finally got the new 308 rem sorted after a few problems with availability of various bits of kit .But am now the proud owner of remmington 700 police in 308 cal complete with a p12 wildcat moderator harris bipod and a nikko sterling nighteater 30 tube 6-24 x56ag with ir mildot reticule.mounted on farrel one piece 20 moa mount which is bedded.

went for this as it was a set up from the standard rem 700 and after the first few outings it is not going to disappoint . only fired a few groups after barrel break in but it will already shoot sub .5 inch groups at 150 meters complete with a damn 7 lbs trigger pull so that has been adjusted to a nice sensible 3 lbs and we are now down to under 15mm for three shot groups and this is with

two hijacked loads of 44 grns varget in a magtech case with cci br2 primmer and 150 grain hornady soft point

or 47 grns varget in a lappua case with br2 primmer and 125 grns sierra soft point .

even during barrel break in with some old magtech 150 grns it put 10 bullets in one inch but that was with a old scope as i was waiting for the new one .

out of interest this is a g prefix serial number which apparently according to some of the american sites is made in the smith and western factory on new cnc machinery which they claim is as good as a trued action . i will admit to not being the greatest shooter in the world but for me to shoot groups that small after my old 308 this one certainly aint no muppet dont even know if load development is going to be worth the effort as most reloading sites seem to suggest that a good 308 will shoot the magic stock loads accurately all day .

will hope to post some photos of groups and gun if i can fathom the technology as computer have to be turn on and work i am afraid but will give it a go . looking forward to trying some longer range stuff when we get some fields cleared and see how foxy likes his new medicine and yes it is on my ticket for fox shooting with it.

Put in a Basix trigger, I did and they are loads better than standard.

A worthwhile £95 investment.

Archived