Too much fun.

6mmBR

Hi folks, the fun continues Andy has been off work this week so it's a good excuse to get out and have some fun. Also I needed to christen my new UK Varminting polo shirt :D they are excellent quality and I'm well pleased.

We were on for a nights foxing with Mark the keeper mopping up around the pens as his birds have now arrived, but it was a lovely day so Andy said to pop down earlier.

We'd meet at Ians and have a crack at the crows and pigeons and see if any foxes came put to bask in the sun.

We set up the bench and got down to business. I opened the account with a pigeon which landed in the lower branches of a tree at 139 yards. The pop of the round striking home was louder than the report from the rifle and the pigeon dissapeared in a cloud of feathers.

DSCF0766.jpg

Andy set up for the next shot again a pigeon in a tree(all shots have safe back stops) this one ranged at 256 yards. Again an 87 V max making short work of the pigeon. They really do explode in the most amazing manor. I really have got to say Andy's 6BR is shooting so sweet at the moment.

We sat around for a bit and hit some and missed some out to 250 yards, then a pigeon landed in a tree further back.

I was up for the shot, Andy ranged it at 417 yards and we had a 7 mph wind coming in from 7 o'clock.

Exbal produced the data which I put into the scope and sighted in on the pigeon on the lower branch.

DSCF0775.jpg

That NP-2DD reticule is just so precise for shooting with.

I squeezed the trigger of the RPA and watched a cloud of feathers erupt from the tree followed by the pop of the bullet strike coming back to us and the pigeon dropping out the tree.

DSCF0770.jpg

Well i was chuffed. That 6BR is an awesome cartridge its not the fastest or flatest in the world but by dam once you've learnt its trajectory it is one of the most accurate.

Ian the farmer phoned to say he had finnished milking and would we mind moving fields so he could put the cows out.

We packed up all the gear and moved 2 fields over where Andy new a fox or 2 lie up in the sun.

We set back up again and waited. Andy spotted a ginger blob in the hedge we ranged it at 442 yards, in went the info to Exbal and I sighted in on the fox, squeezed the trigger and watched the round just miss it by inches over the top.

Never mind, we waited again and another popped out further down the field Andy sighted in and sent a 87 Vmax on its way, the round just missed left, perfect for height but the wind just caught the bullet pushing it off target.

We relaxed in the sun scanning the hedgerow from time to time and all was quiet for quite a while.

It was great to soak up a bit of sun and chill out.

Andy spotted a fox ambling down the hedge line not far from where I missed my first shot. It ranged at 458 yards, well being a bit wiser this time I knocked another click off.

When the fox stopped for a second I squeezed off the round, I saw the strike in the scope, the fur dimpled as the bullet struck home the fox ran a few yards and collapsed.

That is the longest shot I've ever pulled off on a fox. In day light you have all the time to ready your self for the shot and put all the info through Exbal not a luxury you get when out lamping.

DSCF0777.jpg

The next picture is looking back from the fox with the camera on full zoom to the area we were shooting from up on the bank.

If you enlarge the picture you can make out the shooting bench.

DSCF0778.jpg

It was then time to pack up and get some grub before going on to Marks.

Suitably filled with steak and chips we set off to meet Mark.

Like all keepers Mark is concerned when the poults go into the pens they are not disturbed by Charlie.

He wanted us to have a check around and mop up any stragglers.

We've had 13 foxes on his shoot recently so we'd see what we'd see.

Marks just built a new pen so it was there we went first. Andy did a bit of squeaking and a fox popped out of the cover to meet an 87 Vmax going in the other direction. This fox was a barren vixen a good one to get out the way.

Things were a bit quiet, we mopped up another cub in a cut silage field and moved on.

Andy spotted a fox a long way out, he called and called, it was a bit wary to say the least.

It finally came into a field with 3 bulls in :o and I shot it at 180 yards. It was funny no one would volunteer to get that one back :lol:

On that note we finished Mark a happy chap that we had 3 foxes and things seemed to be getting under control.

So 4 foxes for the day was not bad.

I can't beleive the fox population around Andy, I've now shot 29 foxes in 4 weeks with him and thats not including the ones he's been having in the week.

We were chatting about this in the car, I can see why he shoots bags of 2-300 foxes a year.

Thanks again Andy for a great day.

Good company as ever.

Dave

Well done lads!!!!! :lol::o

A cracking writeup and some good shooting as well!!!!! :D :D

Dave ,

You know the farmer called Dave , i took him out with his new 17 HMR and i spotted a crow at 355yds and then nailed it , had a bunnie at 291yds too!! - should of seen his face!!!

He loves his 17 HMR and bagged some bunnies when we was out!!!!

All the best lads ....................

RAY................................................ :D;)

Good write up and a nice heasdshot on that long pigeon, pigeons seem to have sort sort of explosive inside them when you hit them bits go in all directions, I shot a few the other day and I was just finding feet here, wings there, heads, it ridiculous but good fun :lol: You boys do seem to be getting alot of foxes the place must be over run with them.

Cheers Ray, Dave's a good bloke, you'll have him knocking them over soon with his .223.

See you for the reds :lol:

Dave

Thanks Dave :o

Quite agree , he is a great chap , he has given he some cases so hopefully load up some proper rounds instead of that factory crap!!!

His 17 HMR is embarrassing the 223 at the moment by the way it groups - but something tells me its gonna change with the reloads!!!! :D;)

Looking forward to getting out again with you buddy!!!!!!!!! :D :D

All the best...............

RAY....................................... :D;)

Reloads are the way to go definitely, that load of Jamies with 52 A max goes well in CZ's.

I'll give you a bell in the week and see you over next weekend.

I'll bring the BR incase we have time for some varminting.

Cheers

Dave

Congrats on the fox Dave like you say its totaly different when shooting in the daytime loads of time to squeze of the shot,hope to get out before dark myself today to clean up some fox's that i have been ask'd to shoot thats if it stays dry this time

Archived