Start to a good week

I thought I would share this with you guys. I was asked by the local keeper to stalk some roe. for him as he was very busy . Any way off I went. I enter the first plantation all of which are young trees ie about 2 -3ft tall glassing every 10 -15yds and walked right into a roe doe which runs straight into the next plantation.That will alert every deer in the county thought I. Well nothing for it but to carry on. On entering to next plantation I stop and have a look round nothing not a thing walk on a few yards still nothing .walk on abit glass again sucess one roe buck just walking slowly about 200yds away up with the rifle only to have him vanish. try again a few yds further on spot him again and notice that his head is very dark and also his antlers. up with the rifle again only to have him dissapear again blast. Any way I try to pick him up again in the bins but no good. Just then another deer which I though at first was a doe stepped across the ride spots me,and runs in the same direction as the buck. With that I thought it might stir up the buck .It did that alright it turned out to be a young buck and what a chase they had. Well thats that. I might as well look in the next plantation.I just get started and spot two roe at about 300-400yds. one of which is a buck. right says I don,t mees this stalk up.any way I creep along slowly,and sure enough they have both gone.just as I was about to kick the cat and call it a day back they came the buck chasing the doe. Right matey you just stand still a minute which he did. Down, he went success at last. now to drag him up hill 300yds, so that the keeper can pick him I get to the top of the hill and decide to look in the next plantation ,nothing .So back to the buck I ve just shot on examination I can not find either a entrance or exit hole and I never did.Any way I look up and standing no more than 20yds a way are two young roe watching my every move neither of them showing any fear at all.After about 20 or so seconds one decides to run off leaving the other to stand ,and watch this funny two legged creature thats entered its world. A few seconds later it to runs off, and I though I would go and look to see if I could see them maybe playing about. just as I passed the enterance to the field that the two young had run into and on the right was another two adult roe one of which was a good 6 point buck. down he went. thats two in the bag. So with the 6 pointer I had at 5-50am that morning and a 6 pointer the night before I was walking rather Tall thats till I missed a fox later on that evening. It sure dont pay to be to smart assed. sorry about the lenght of this story. Thank s Eric ps. also I saw 5 foxes missed one as I said got 3 and spooked another all in day light. all in all not a bad week.

Nice one, or is that 2,3 etc.

Wouldn't worry about the fox you can't hit everything you shoot at and given the choice would you want to? soon become boring wouldn't it.

Sounds like you've got plenty of deer density there and they haven't been chased about.

Hi Eric,

Good going, with the rutt on it can pay to just sit and watch as the bucks are very active, more often than not if you sit up for a couple of hours its surprising what comes into shooting range of you.

Good luck mate, keep the good work up.

Cheers.............

Keith..............

Thanks for the replys

I am off up to North Yorks next Tuesday 5th for 5 days stalking The keeper reconds there,s record buck with my name on it So we will have to see. Eric.

Archived