Forward thoughts/planing

Blacknsilver

I have be dipping my toe in the reloading. It was my smallest toe so I am as green as you get.

This is the vid I watch along with part two.

Found it very interesting. I did watch another which involved resizing. Again it was straight forward.

I realise it's a hobby in its self which is the appealing part.

How much would the set up be in the video? I don't expect it to come cheap.

The round I will be looking to reload is the .223 maybe the .222

When I hear that certain rounds are easy to load what makes them different?

I know there will be tones of knowledge that need to be learnt.

• 1 month later...

Not sure what makes one load easier to load than another ,other than some rounds are inherently accurate to reload ,the two you mention are ,as are 243&308.

all rounds reload will shoot very well after some load development work.You will enjoy it .rifle and its trigger are massive factors, plus many more which you learn, on the reloading road good luck with it.

Blacksilver,in general,once brass is prepared,there isn't much differnece between the technicalities of differnt cartridges.

Wildcat cartridges-no commercial brass off the peg- may take varying amounts of work to get the brass correct-some.like the Ackley Improved series are designed to just fire form the commercial equivalent base case to the Ackley chamber-otheres require case reforming etc in special dies.

Some cartridges are however 'easy to reload' because they are tolerant on a wider range of powders-ie they are much less fussy as to what they 'like' so it's relatively easy to get an acceptable powder (& bullet) combination that shoots well. SOme are quitetolerant of seating depth too-so no fine tunindg really needed.(note all commercial ammo is 'one size fits all'-ie willfire ok,and for many purposes that is good enough-accuracy enthusiasts like to squeeze the very best for their rofle with eg 'seating depth' adjustment-fine,and again,any cartridge might benefit,but it's seldom essential.

I very few cartridges might be mose sensitive to small powder variations,too-but that does not make them 'difficult' to load for,and no-one should be sloppy about powder measuring (it's easy enough to get .1g consistency,which will do nicely).

So,with the above provisos,

which do not include the 'popular' cartridges like 223,243,308 there really isn't much in the 'easy' to load issue. ('easy to load for' is a little better,but same applies.)

Some of the populars have such tried and tested true 'recipies' for specific powders and bullets,that there is close to a standard recipe,which works,or at least is a sound base,for tweaking-as with seating depth to suit a particular rifle.

Mostly,an extensive 'load development' isn't mandatory-try the 'popular' loading,and see if it is OK in your rifle ( check it isn't over powder Max as per manuals-most are not-there is no need).

Enjoy-it need not be complex,just careful.

gbal

Archived