BLATTING WITH THE 6MMBR

nemasis243

After having invited Dave (6MMBR) down on the foxes a few times ,he very kindly returned the invite and yesterday dinner time I was on the road up to him.

I wanted Dave to use the cleaning solutions he uses on my Barrel as I thought that the stuff I was using wasnt getting all the copper out.

His Butches Bore Shine and Kroil mix certainly showed me what I had suspected :lol: , the first patch was very ,very dark and blue followed by another cleaning cycle and eventualy we got it clean ;) .

Then it was off in Daves truck down to a spot which he and Ray have posted many pictures of , on Rays trip to Wales. We set up and within minutes had the first bunny in the scope , not long shots to start with but the Farmer wanted these Rabbits gone and this was the furthest we could get to the position they were in.

I opened the batting with a bunny at 161yrds a nice litte head shot with my nice clean bore.

Dave then had one at around the same distance , both of use choosing to shoot head shots to make it more of a challenge.

I was amazing to see how the 87grn vmax from both of ours 6mmbrs sent the bunnies flying up in the air sometimes to a hieght of 5ft.

We shot half a dozen here and then moved down a long track to where we could look back into the cliffs from below them ,increasing our range to targets out to 550yrds.

But we paid the price by moving as the wind was gusting down there form 15mph up to 25mph but it was a great challenge.

We took it in turns shooting launching rabbits with consistant success,from distances out to 320yrds .

We tried a couple of shots at longer stuff but because of the wind we found that we were just throwing ammo away as we wernt connecting 50% of the time .

We ranged one at 508yrds ,did all the exbal calculations and I got down behind the gun to see if I could make contact, Dave was spotting for me to locate the strike if I missed,I sent the round on its way and it struch about 18" high above target, we both looked at one another couldnt believe what we had seen,

we redid the calculations and we wer bang on , the rabbit was still there sitting in the little bit of sun there was ,I sent another round towards him ,this did the same high and this time slightly right, we both descussed it and we come too the decision that it must be the up draft from the cliff face that was causing the shift in aimimg point to target. A lesson leaned there but you would not have able to calculate this anyway.

Next we pulled right down to the botton of the field to see what we could see,just behind us was a track and this bit of stuff was out for a jog, passing within 10ft from us on the other side of the fence, what a shape on it and good looking as well ;) , then you see how good Swarvoski 7x42 Binos really are(I am not a pervert this was a test done in a strict working inviroment on behalf of Varmint shooters who are thinking of buying a set a binos,these are very clear and have good image moving qualities :rolleyes: )

We both finished off witha few tricky shots ,only being able to spy a rabbits head poking out from behind a fallen stick or a bit of gourse, a great way to tighten your concentation out to 250yrds.

It was back then to Daves for a quick coffee and a chat on the aternoons activities, so I would like to say a big thanks to Dave for the invite and lookforward for him comming down to give some charlies a blatting next weekend :lol:

Nice one lads,,

I have enjoyed your write ups over the last couple of weeks,, Fantastic :rolleyes:

We also were using exbal yesterday at the fly shoot at the diggle,,,

500 yards,, 308 exbal was saying 42 clikes of up from a 100 yard zero,, But i had to dial up to about 45 46 clickes?????? This is starting to do my head in now,, Untill we noticed that the targets were about 15 to 20 ft higher than the firing point??? Not having one of those angle thingys on my scope, I could not put the angle into exbal????

Would this make such a differance???? Judgement is still open on this one,,,,,

Keep them write ups coming lads,,, Darrel

Nice write up 243. Real world targets are much more preferable to paper don't you think?

F2N

which way was the wind blowing?

1 MOA for the small rise (15ft) sounds generous, maybe you had a BC or velocity discrepancy.

Nice write up 243. Real world targets are much more preferable to paper don't you think?

F2N

which way was the wind blowing?

1 MOA for the small rise (15ft) sounds generous, maybe you had a BC or velocity discrepancy.

We checked everything we could think of and everything was correct.Just one of those things :rolleyes:

Yes the wind was pretty tricky yesterday, but I think is important to shoot in all conditions not just cherry picking the windless days(not that we get many) to improve our shooting.

It makes you all the sharper for those winter foxing exploits.

As Andy said the ass on that jogger was something to behold ;) (I wish :D ) and all viewing was as Andy said was strictly for research purposes only ;)

As ever it was a great day out in great company, also I think we learnt that wind can cause vertical displacment of bullets as well as horizontal.

Cheers

Dave

Its funny because I have had a similar sort of discrepancy 1/2 MOA with a 308 at 400 yds and I put it down to temperature or something not quite spot on. These were 1 month apart.

As has been said non cherry picked days are a good education. I try to practice in all conditions including rain plus it gives you the chance to test your gear properly.

Field testing always sorts the sh!t out especially at more than 100yds.

Archived