Foxing.

Jay Foxing

Hi all,

Got a little time to tell you all about thursday nights foxing foray, so here it go's.

Darrel, Andy and myself fox together almost every Thursday. Form farm to farm we travel in search of foxes, we have built up quite a large ground over the years. This Thursday was going to be a little different, more informal and relaxed affair.

It's calving time on one of the many farms we shoot, and the foxes no it. A couple of still born calves had already been chewed upon. We would adopted a sit and wait tactic on this one, sitting in the cow shed with Darrel's HMR was the best plan.

It was quite a wait for darkness to fall, a fag and chinwag soon pas the time. Creep towards the shed door, lamp on nothing. We have a quick squeak and soon have three pairs of eyes coming towards us, they don't come in close enough for a shoot though. A couple of minutes later and a cub pops up along the hedge to our right, a quick shot and it runs a short distance and down it go's. Returning to the shed for a chat about the reluctance of the foxes to come to a squeak, and another smoke before having another look. When the lamp gets flicked on a fox is walking passed at around 20yds, only to be disturbed by the click from Darrel's rifle. The round refused to fire, that's one lucky bugger of a fox. Return to the shed for another chat before going for another look. This time the lamp showed a cub at around the 100yd mark, a well aimed round put this little fella down where he stood. We decide to pick up the two foxes we shot and drag them towards the shed to lay a sent trail for the other vulpine to follow in, we only picked up one due to loosing the other in the long grass. Any how while searching for the other, a cub shows himself from the wood. Darrel hits this one a little far back and the fox is off at half speed, quick reload and a very good shot on the run and its in the bag to. Back to the shed for a smoke and a chat before having a last look, then lamp on. Foxes eyes can be seen glimmering in the same spot he shot the first, this one runs a short distance after being hit then go's down. We go pick it up and have another quick look for the first fox before calling it a night, with four cubs shot and three picked up it was a good night. Just leaves Mum, Dad and a last cub for another night, and who knows what else will show up as calving continues.

DSC00185.jpg

All the best,

Jay.

I just knew i should of written the word cigarette instead of fag, not often you get to have a fag in a cow shed though.

Jay.

Cheers fellas,

To be honest it was a bloody good night!!!To sit around makes a change for us three as normally it is shankes poney ;) ,, I wish that i had a pound for every mile that i have walked with Jay and andy???

Good friends ,, And good nights out shooting!!!! What more could you want :rolleyes:;)

I have had a few rounds that have not gone bang,, Most of them have been Hornaday 17 hmr??

Has any one else had the same????

Thank you jay for doing the write up and pics,,, Hope that you feel better soon,,,,,

(Jay had dental work done that got infected,,,,But with a face like a football he still came out foxing :lol:

Us welsh lads are made of tuff stuff ;) So the sheep say any way :lol:;)

All the best my mate,, Darrel

Archived