Good day on the pigeons

I have been watching a field of barley for the last couple weeks and the pigeons have been building up nicely, Then on sunday i went to have a look and there was a constant stream coming on on three flight lines. I clapped my hands to see how many were on the field and watched at least 5-600 birds lift and then drop straight back in.

so went into work yesterday and booked a day off for today to go and give em some hammer, i then rang Magman to see if he could get the day off and give me a hand, but it was not to be has he had a job to finish ;) . so i invited a friend who is the keeper on one of the estates i shoot and we arrange to meet at 11.00 am this morning.

Met my mate near the field and then worked out the best place to build the hide and set up, we decided to only set the magnet up with no deeks, bouncers or anything else apart from the hide.

within 5 minutes the started to flight in :) and within 3-4 hours hours we had shot a confirmed bag of 260 pigeons ( with God knows how many others that were clipped and fell out of sight).

so all in all a cracking red letter day and a few less pigeons eating the farmers Barley.

One thing i did notice though, was that within an hour of us stopping shooting there must of been at leaset another 2-300 birds back on the field, so looks like another day is on the cards *aaaa*

Thats a great few hours shooting, I love pigeon and woodcock shooting ;) ,for me their leaps above the driven pheasant and partridge days I used to do. :)

260 pigeons. That is a a great bag of pigeons. Do you find that there are more pigeons about this year. I am having a good time on the pigeons at the moment. I shot 109 by my self yesterday and that would be about 400 in the last four weeks.

Dogfox

Archived