Tasco 2.5 - 10 x42

Hi guys and gals,

I was looking to replace my 3-9x50 that is on my 22 with a multi aim point scope. Someone turned me onto the Tasco 2.5 - 10 x 42 target/varmint with a mil-dot reticle. Since it was ~£40 all in I figured it was worth a shot. I got the scope last night and looked through it around 8-9 PM. It was dusk hours and the scope was pretty good without any external lights aside from the sky. I played with focus, objective, and magnification until I got it pretty close to my eye. Overall the scope was nice and clear throughout the range. The mildots were smaller than I anticipated. At 50 yd and 10X they are about the size of a rabbits eye. That's a lot better than I though it would be. At 150-200 they should still be small enough for head shots.

I'm going to put it on the rifle tonight and see how it does. If the wind calms down one day I might even put it through the box test.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Grant,

7 hares in 2 nights (6 last night) wish it was a worse scope. I started Tuesday at 25 yards. first shot was about 8" low and dead on windage. A lucky guess on clicks put the next shot dead on the bull. I shot a small group there and started the box test. I gave it one full revolution right and one up, shot 5 shots, two revolutions down, 5 shots, 2 rev left, five shots, 2 rev up, five shots, and the one right and one down to get back to center. The groups on center were overlapping (and right around .2") for all 10 shots so I was pleased. The clicks are audible and repeatable. You can readjust them for zero on the markings.

I took it back to 50, 70, 100, and 120 yards to check how the mil dots were hitting. I still have some fine tuning to go to make the yardages easier but the scope did its bit the whole way through. On the way home tuesday I stopped by the farmers field and there were 8 hares and 2 rabbits out. I only had one bullet left so a hare bit it (he was the easy shot). Last night I went back to the same field and got three more ranging to 85 yards. Went to a second field about a mile away and there were 5 more hares out. I got three more there at 15, 85, and 145 yards. Scope is good in low light. It is only 10x, so I wouldn't expect it to go dim at all. It is clear to the edges of the scope and the eye relief is good. It focuses as close as 20' so you can range find with the AO if you want. At more distant targets you have to be on 10X to do that.

Overall I expect no problems with this scope on the 22. It isn't an S&B, but it is a decent little scope.

Made in China.

Thanks,

Rick

Glad to hear it's working out for you Rick. The Chinese are not known for quality in their optics but is looks like things may be on the turn if your Tasco performs well for you..

It's all to easy to fall into the trap of wanting the ultimate "brand" name sitting atop ones rifle, ( my bank balance can verify only too well ) when the truth of the matter is that the most modest of scopes will do the job pretty much as well most of the time.. My cupboard is filled with modestly priced scopes that all did a sterling job at one time but i wanted to chase the dream and have the most expensive scopes i could afford on my rifles.. Do i hit more game or shoot better scores in competition with my expensive scopes??? Mmmmmm.. NAH.... ;)

You've more common sense than me... ;)

Well done mate.. ;)

Grant..

grant,

Don't let me fool you, I like the nice scopes too. My next one into the box will be a monarch, though the bushnell elites are still handing around on my list too. Not the most expensive, but certainly the most expensive that I can justify in my head.

We'll have to wait and see how this scope does. It has about a hundred shots down the tube with it right now, but it is all 22LR subs. I wouldn't think that the amount of shooting will make a difference, just the handling. I'm not too hard on my guns so this one should hold up just fine. The quality is fine for what it is. I would rate it comparable to all of the other chinese scopes I've handled. The adjusting rings are a little tight/rough to turn, but I think they have been overpacked with heavy grease which will slowly work its way out with use. It isn't bad enough that I want to pull it apart, I'll just let it sit in the sun one afternoon to heat up and turn them a few times.

Thanks,

Rick

Archived