.223Rem Norma brass variations.

Geezedtee

Hello All.

Dissapointed with the Norma .223 brass I've just bought. It's new brass. Cost £73.84 before VAT for a 100 cases.

It comes in a plastic bag with cases rattling around inside it. Looking through the bag I could see 2 damaged necks. Opened the bag dipped my hand in and came out with another flattened neck!

Picked 20 cases out to prep. First check Case length to find 10 needed a lot of trimming 5 just a tad and 5 were shorter than my cutter pilot. Chamfered inside and out uniformly.

Tried to check the primer pocket uniformity using a K&M Primer pocket uniformer but they were so tight I couldn't get the thing to turn so gave up on that.

Next I weighed the cases and found a 4.5 grain difference between the lightest 90.5 gr and the heaviest 95.0gr. I've had better in my .308 cases

So, out of 20 cases I have only 13 that weigh between 91.5 and 93grainsI'm really p---ed off as these are reputedly the best quality!

I've had better weight variations in cheap American brass, and better in my .308 Lapua (which incidentally aren't that great with QC either).

Am I making too much of this?

What is an acceptable weight variation in such a small case as .223?

Someone please cheer me up.

G O M.

Your disappointment is understandable. Norma have enjoyed a very good reputation for quality,and perhaps longeivity in their brass (that longeivity of course cannot be assessed here).

You have the option of contacting the retailer,and/or Norma directly: Norma should replace any cases which are outside CIP tolerances (there may not be any) but also have discretion to replace any cases.

They will probably want the brass returned for inspection.

Otherwise,if you want a positive spin,perhaps the differences won't affect performance,and the brass will last a long time.

Or,much less positively,even with some remedial work,and/or batching ,the brass will not perform very uniformly,and will last a long time.

Contact Norma before you do anything else,like do anyting to the brass, especially to the unsatisfactory brass. There is every chance Norma will respond positively,

gbal

Archived