Red Deer and vermin .308

scottmuir2000

Reload Swiss RS50 - very effective in my 20" .308 T3 Super Varmint, giving 2825fps with 155gr TMK, low pressure. N140 also good but lower MV/Higher pressure

A dual purpose load is not impossible,but your priority-not least legally- has to be to the red deer requirements.It may be that a good red deer load is suitable for certain classes of vermin,also.

But the reverse is not true ( eg the 30 cal 125g varmint bullets). The terminal performance requirements for reds and vermin differ considerably (essentially,expansion and penetration differences in very different quarry).308 is both flexible,and well served by component choice.

As DM58 advises,the appropriate Reload Swiss and Vihtavuori powders-matched to suitable bullets- are sound choices,and readily available.No doubt other recommendations will be forthcoming.

gbal

I concur with what gbal said above. Drawing from this it is important to point out that Sierra TMKs are not classed as expanding bullets and therefore cannot be lawfully used for deer management in the UK.

In the past few years component availability has been an issue. Despite this I have had good results with Vit n140 & 165 Sierra GameKings

As Gbal said............

I would, and I do, with my 308 have multiple loads.

Foxes love Nosler 150g BT with 46 gr of Vit N140. This just smashes them to bits but due to the fragmentation of the bullet are useless for deer and will spoil meat etc.

A good option for deer is 165 sierra HP 2140's with 44gr of N140 which gives 2775 out of my 24" barrel.

Any deer bullet will kill vermin too. A reasonably aerodynamic BTSP in the 150 or 165 grain range by Speer, Nosler, Sierra or Hornady would do what you wish

Archived