Out Foxing

kip270

I had a phone call from Dan "Can you come up my mate's farm he's losing chickens", so not needing to be asked twice we headed out last night, and because it's new ground i was the Shooter with the .222.

We got there around 10pm, and it was still fairly light, and it was like water-ship down, Rabbits everywhere (next time I'll take the .17hmr), they have cut the fields so we were hoping to find a fox mooching around the fields looking for some food. But after an hour or so, not even a glimpse, i tried the WAM call a few times but nothing.

There were bales in the field we were in and as we headed back when Dan scanned to our right and a Fox was coming straight at us, but the wind was blowing straight towards it!!!! I got out the WAM and gave a few calls, but we lost sight of it as it reached a hedgerow, so we got to a bale and it just the right height to use as a rest, then Dan spotted it looking at us just in the hedge, i settled on it and could see a clear spot for my shot "Thud" my bullet found it's mark and we had one in the bag.

My shot was a head shot and the pic was off my phone.

DSC00043.jpg

We were both pleased, and hopefully this was the chicken killer.

Heading back Dan got over a gate and scanned the field, and there was a Fox not 60 yards away, i took the lamp and passed Dan the rifle, but the Fox came back through the hedge onto my side and into a filed with cows in, i told Dan to put the safety on as there was no way for a shot even if the Fox stopped.

Dan got back over the gate and we tried to get this Fox, but it wasn't stopping for a shot, i took the rifle back and the Fox stopped, i tried to lean on a fence post but it wobbled too much so i didn't take the shot. It then headed off into a small wood, so we headed back to the car.

On our way home we called into another farm that has had problems with Foxes, we have had three from there over the last few weeks, but he's still having problems. The only problem we had was the grass was too long, and hopefully they should be cutting it shortly.

The grass was knee high, so spotting something was going to be a challenge, then we spotted one but it was gone before we could get onto it.

Not a bad night and it was nice to behind the rifle for a change.

Good to see you back on the rifle Dan's being missing some ;):lol:

Good result though, the long grass is a pain, their slow to cut silage round here aswell.

Cheers

Dave

sounds like you both had a good night out hunting ,its what i like to hear :rolleyes:

I you canna beat it when you outwitt old charlie. Good to see the trustee 222 being used. Still a bloody good foxing cal.

Ads

Archived