20 Ferguson Ace

DLH

Probably not many! First appeared in 2003, it's the 6BR necked to 20,slightly longer/wider body,and therfore shorter 45 degree neck. This gives about 10% more capacity.

Not clear what it really does that a 20 BR doesn't,but you have about 500 rounds barrel life to find out.

That probably accounts for its rarity,but if you are currently shooting a 5/35 SMc and therefore need a rebarrel even more urgently,it might appeal.

:-)

gbal

• 2 weeks later...

I got one made in around 03 but put things got put on hold for one reason or another and so was wondering if anyone had done any work with cartridge in the mean time? Seems I'm on my own!

I have a 20BR and I shouldn't imagine load development for your Ace will be that much different.

What twist rate do you have and what bullets are you shooting?

I have found 29.7gr of N133 and 33.5 gr of N550 work well with 39 SBK's and 31.1gr of N550 with the 55gr Bergers, the Bergers are jumping 0.150" and the SBK's about 0.120"

A lot was said here about N550 burning my barrel out quickly but I had it scoped recently by the gunsmith who built it and at 700 rounds he said the wear was minimal, he felt that the barrel looked around 1/3 of the way through its life if it was maintained and shot sensibly. I never fire big strings, usually its one shot at a time and the barrel never gets detrimentally hot.

Archived