Good evening out

shootingbags

Actually managed to get out last night ( 1st time in a loooooong time ! ) to help my friend Tom who has a fair few foxes where he is the underkeeper.

I have shot on his patch before but with the lamp and it is a very weird place to lamp as it is next to a military training helicopter base and there when I lamped there , there were always 3 or 4 helicopters buzzing around !

Anyway we decided we would get onto the ground early and stay until it got dark , I put myself next to a large dead tree in the middle of the field , in front of me was a 100 acre wood about 150 yards away, to the left was a field extending about 200 yards and to the right were a couple of fields with cattle in. Tom was behind me about 300 yards away and after agreeing our safe arcs of fire I put the Foxpro Scorpion in front of me about 75 yards away and settled down next to the tree.

I set the caller to a young hare and after about 5 minutes a hare decided to come running up and see what the fuss was - he couldn't make it out and eventually went hopping off. 3 more hares came in to have a look over the next half an hour or so and then at just after 10 o'clock I caught movement out of my eye corner - there was a fox running in over the larger field to my left heading straight for the caller ! He was so quick he got to the caller before I managed to mute it and realised that there wasn't anything edible and turned to go back the way he came. He got about 20 yards away from the caller and while still trotting took a look over his shoulder one more time to check why there was no hare there. That's all I needed and , leaning against the tree, shot it from around 80 yards away with 243 87g soft point.

Just after I shot Tom phoned me to say that another fox was on its way over towards me but it never showed.

When I picked the fox up it was good to see that it was an adult dog fox so , 2 weeks before his birds come, it's 1 less for Tom to worry about !

Glad to see you got out for a shot Gary,hopefully it will be the start of a few more evenings out.

I've got a busy one next week, Rays coming to stay so hopefully lots of varminting action :D

Cheers

Dave

Archived