Fun with 222

Redfox

After the posting on the 222 and loads the other day, I decided to give it an outing last night, picked mate up and called at the farm first, then just as the light was dropping we went round to this field:-

P6230002.jpg

I have shot more foxes on this field than any other in the last ten yrs, over 73. The trees at the far end are on a large banking about 60 ft high and there are two earths, one at either end, on the right on the other side of the hedge is a large field of standing wheat.

First shot was about 70 yds on the third eye :D of the dog fox, he left a couple of round things behind and did a sharp right into the wheat, then passed away but too far to walk in.

Then 30 mins later,this vixen who had been playing in longer grass nearer the banking came to about 130 yds away side on ( the banking is 190yds away) and paused just long enough for me to squeeze one off. When we picked her it had hit right in the engine room where I aimed, so I was quite pleased as she dropped on the spot. 50 gr Vmax rules again :D

P6230005.jpg

Finished off with a couple of 200yd bunnies for the farmer and home by 11.30 pm for a beer and a toasted sandwich, life is ok sometimes. ;)

Redfox

Nice result redfox that sure looks like a great place for some range work

Hi all. This is my first post as I only became a member a fortnight a go and I usualy read about other peoples exploits rather than post. Its nice to see and read about the 222. I was beging to think that I was the only one that used one. Mine,s a TIKKA 595. I use Nosler 40g bt tip. Lapua case .24g N133. CCI br primers.

Eric

I really like the 222, problem is I like the 17rem too, so I dont always take it out. I have used various powders but have finally gone to 25 grs BLC2 with rem 7 1/2 primers Rem cases and 50gr nosler bt ( the 50gr holds onto energy and velocity longer than the 40gr and is better in a breeze) I load the .025" off the rifling and it will group into better than .5" at 100yds anytime and less when I'm on form. I like the fact you can see the impact in the scope too, Mine too is the Tikka 595, great rifle.

Foxshot

It is a good place for zeroing as it is sheltered from the wind and the nearest house is the farmers, so he doesnt complain about a few bangs.

Redfox

Hi Redfox. Sorry I did not reply sooner but the web site kept dropping my log in. Any way I,ve had my 222 for about 8 years. and I find that the 40g the gave the best groups. When I figure out how to post a pic I will post one of my targets. As regared to the wind I don,t bother to much as I just use My Tikka 243 with a 70g bt. Got to say though I much prefer the 222 Eric

Archived