Having some fun...

auquhollie

Well went out for some long range work the other night. Was down on the farm to set up a mates new rifle. He has bought himself a new VSSF two in 22.250. I sold him my Leupold scope (8.5-25x50) and we got it all mounted up. Bruxie loaded up 30 rounds with his Recipe (medium load) and we set about running in the barrel. 2 hours of shoot one clean shoot two clean etc we were ready to zero in the beast. I set up the rifle on the bunny bag and looked down the bore. Once set onto the middle of the paper I looked through and adjusted the scope till it was on bull (a rough guide). Andrew proceeded to let off a round. Bang on the bull, perfect. He followed up with a second shot. No mark on paper. Surely he didn’t miss the A4 I am thinking. Nope, third shot was about 10 thou higher than the first two. That must have been a .2 “group out of a brand new (only fired 15 rounds) rifle with a load thrown together just to break it in. To say I was gob smacked was an understatement. He went on to shoot another three groups with the same results. Who needs a custom rifle when you can buy that for £900 out the box? Looks the dog’s broccoli as well with the new stock and double swivel’s etc.

We went on to do some long range work with the rifles. Having the drop chart for the new rifle we set about getting Andrew his first long range rabbit. Setting up at the back of the farm on an old bale cart we were looking at rabbits out to 500 yards. Finding Andrew a close ish one to start with @ 230 yards he dialed in the correction. Off went the 55 V max and whap went the Wabbit. After 2 mins I spotted another rabbit at the same distance. Left of the dead one. The lads get down on the rifles to spot the one ide found and Andrew comes back with a “don’t you mean FOX” F off I reply but sure enough a fox cub had just walked out the whins and was chomping on the bunny. Same correction and wham…whack the cub was down. So flying high cause he just got a new rifle followed by it shooting really well and then a long range bunny and finishing with a Charlie. In fact if he was any higher he would have needed wings and a tale rudder to land safely…..A great night had by all.

A pic of the proud father with his reward.

DSC00394.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

Ads

This rifle is the new VSSF 2. Its a very nice looking rifle. Better than the VSSF 1 Eh Bruxie ? ;) (he has the 1st model)

The load is 55 grain V Max 34.5gr of varget, 2.460" OAL taken from end of the ballistic tip and its doing 3535 FPS. Not the most deady fast load but its deadly accurate in at least 2 of the VSSF rifles ive tried it in.

Ads

Great result from a new setup and what a christening i also had the vssf in 223 and was well pleased with it, looks like some great longrange shooting ahead for your mate

I tell ya things weren't laid on a plate like that for me !!! It took me ages to run in my rifle and even longer to work up a good load and that was a full custom from Rifle craft ;)

Ads

nice going ;)

Archived