Out for a Buck this evening......................

Guest martin

Guest martin

I have got the supervisory condition off my cert now,so,I went out onto a bit of permission that I have that does have a few good Bucks on it.I pulled into the yard,and,the farmer was there,and,he told me that while cutting a couple of the fields today,he had gone over 4 Roe kids(not on purpose mind....lol)well,I thought at the time if a buck isn't forthcoming then maybe there will be a charlie or two after the remnants of the kids.I bid him farewell,and,I drove along the lane to a field at the far end of his land that happens to be in a valley,and,parked up just inside the field.

I loaded up and put the safety on,and set off down the edge of the first field just as the sun was dipping behind the trees.There were three fields that had been cut in the last few days,and two that had been cut today,so,I skirted along the top of those fields behind the trees and low hedgeline.I glassed the surrounding fields,and,saw two Roe does,I watched them for about 5 mins hoping that there would be a Buck close by,but,not today.Just before carrying on,I glassed the field that I had just skirted,only to see Charlie bouncing on mice in the newly cut grass.He was a good 250yds away,and,that is outside of my confident killing zone,so,I stalked in as close as I dare,without being seen,and,dropped the tripod down,and,pulled the legs out to the limit.......................

IMG_3703.jpg

.I sat down,and rested the crosshairs on Charlie,adjusted my breathing.....exhaled ....held that breath,and,slowly squeezed the trigger.........CRACK!!!! He just keeled over onto his side and there was a stiff,but,quivering leg in the air..........he was stone dead!To say I was pleased is an understatement,but,just as I was going to pace out the distance,a Roe Doe casually walked along the hedgeline just behind where the fox was,I'm pretty sure that she was looking for her young'un that had already met an untimely death earlier....very sad to see,but,that's life as they say.I did pace out the distance,and,it was 157 very large paces,and,I know that is a trifling distance up against some peoples,but,it was the farthest I had dropped one so,I was smiling all the way home.

He seemed to be in very good nick,and,had a good coat on him,but,he did have a few teeth missing,so,I would say he wasn't in the first flush of youth,and,here he is....................

IMG_3707.jpg

Happy day's,

Its good to see a pic of a fully grown Fox. This time of year its all pics of cubs. Nice specimen though.

Well done.

Ads ;)

nice going there mate a good looking fox glad to see you stalked him and then got him i like long range shots but the thrill of geting close with out spooking the animal is also a lot of fun ;)

Congrats on the shot martin and a very good read always good to acheive your longest shot know exactly how you feel

Archived