learn more about the scope trade

bigun

found this why i was looking for some info on a scope

http://yarchive.net/gun/scope/makers.html

That is now over ten years old information and although Gale McMillan was an outstanding shooter and ahead of the rest on his barrels etc then, time has moved on and some of his ideas/ statements are not strictly correct, either from the technical or practical point of view.

I do agree with him that you cant buy a £150.00 scope and get the same quality / performance as a £1000 scope. But some of his statements on lenses and coatings clearly show that he does not understand lens making and light transmission / focussing at all.

Redfox

Your right there Pat. I once bought a Nikko Sterling scope in a daft moment for about £150 which ten yrs ago wasnt that cheap. I put it on a Rem 700 in 308 which it was supposed to be ok for. Fired about ten shots on zeroing and the next day it was shooting 5ft to the right! no amount of fiddling with the adjustment would get it back and it went back for a refund.

Went in the local gunshop and they had just taken in an 8 yr old S&B 6 x 42 scope and I bought it right there, 5 shots to zero it and it sat on that rifle until last winter when I sold the rifle and the guy didnt want the scope as it wasnt brand new ( fool), sold it to a friend who has it on his 243AI and wouldnt sell it for a gold clock. :P The internal components have to be made right and resist temperature changes and bad weather etc as well, it all comes at a price.

Redfox

That is now over ten years old information and although Gale McMillan was an outstanding shooter and ahead of the rest on his barrels etc then, time has moved on and some of his ideas/ statements are not strictly correct, either from the technical or practical point of view.

I do agree with him that you cant buy a £150.00 scope and get the same quality / performance as a £1000 scope. But some of his statements on lenses and coatings clearly show that he does not understand lens making and light transmission / focussing at all.

Redfox

Tell me where I can get a £1000 quailty scope for £150 as I am in the market for a new scope and funds are tight :blink:

Archived