One stop powder vhit 150?

swatty

After spending the last few years using hodgsons powder 4895 in both 243 3006 im down to my last half tub and although it looks like there is now limited availability im going to bite the bulket as such and either move over to vhit or reloader powder as ive got good local supply I'm running 87 grain v max and 80 grain sierra spbt in the 243 and 150 grain sst in the 3006 I have slot for 6.5/47 which I'm on the look out for the right donor for so im after recommendations for a one stop shop powder which will run all three looking on vhit data page 150 seams to be the most consistant but if any of you guys have any thoughts Id be all ears atb swatty

It will likely work out as you plan / hope. The 'iffy' one is 6.5X47L. Some rifles and barrels in the calibre do very well with N150 and the 4350s; others absolutely insist on VarGet, Re15 and other slightly faster burning powders.

Do be careful in working N150 loads up in the 243 and 6.5X47L. It's not a forgiving powder when you get near maximum charge weights and can produce an unexpected over-pressure spike. I've blown a few primers with N150 in recent years.

Another alternative if you have a dealer near you who stocks it, is Reload Swiss RS62 which is marginally slower burning (listed same as IMR-4350). It's a traditional long-grain tubular extruded single-based powder originally developed by Nitrochemie for .270 Win and seems a very good performer in this class of cartridge. A possible downside though would be metering in powder measures especially the traditional mechanical rotor type.

Thanks laurie I'm lucky in as much as my local dealer has alot of Swiss powders vhit and alliant so I have the choice I dont mind swapping if it gets me better results I was eating if the Swiss powders as there's dosnt seam a great lot of data out there although I do have there leaflet / data book which looks like they have now spent abit oftime on load development etc

Archived