non fac holder using my rifle

6.5Grendel

As per title with the non fac holder being my 11yr old son.

The land in question is family owned but not mine and I have written permission to satisfy open FAC requirements.

Can I let him use my rifles under supervision ?

I'm not sure that the estate rifle clause would cover it

Cheers

Andy

Borrowedriflesonprivatepremises 6.21 Section 16(1) of the 1988 Act enables a person over the age of seventeen to borrow a rifle from the occupier of private premises and to use it on those premises in the presence of either the occupier or their servant without holding a firearm certificate in respect of that rifle. It should be noted that this gives slightly more flexibility in the use of a borrowed rifle than is permissible with the use of a shotgun as described in paragraph 6.18, in that the borrowed rifle can also be used in the presence of the servant of the occupier. 6.22 The occupier and/or their servant must hold a firearm certificate in respect of the firearm being used, and the borrower, who must be accompanied by the certificate holder (whether it is the occupier or their servant), must comply with the conditions of the certificate. These may include a safekeeping requirement and, in some cases, territorial restrictions. It is also a requirement where the borrower is seventeen that the occupier or servant is eighteen or over – this was inserted by SI 2010/1759. Section 57(4) of the 1968 Act defines “premises” as including any land. The effect of the provision is to allow a person visiting a private land to borrow and use a rifle without a certificate. The exemption does not extend to persons under the age of seventeen or to other types of firearm. There is no notification required on the loan of a firearm under these circumstances. A borrowed rifle should not be specifically identified as such on a “keeper’s” or “landowner’s” firearm certificate. The term “in the presence of” is not defined in law but is generally interpreted as being within sight or earshot.

Borrowedriflesonprivatepremises 6.21 Section 16(1) of the 1988 Act enables a person over the age of seventeen to borrow a rifle from the occupier of private premises and to use it on those premises in the presence of either the occupier or their servant without holding a firearm certificate in respect of that rifle. It should be noted that this gives slightly more flexibility in the use of a borrowed rifle than is permissible with the use of a shotgun as described in paragraph 6.18, in that the borrowed rifle can also be used in the presence of the servant of the occupier. 6.22 The occupier and/or their servant must hold a firearm certificate in respect of the firearm being used, and the borrower, who must be accompanied by the certificate holder (whether it is the occupier or their servant), must comply with the conditions of the certificate. These may include a safekeeping requirement and, in some cases, territorial restrictions. It is also a requirement where the borrower is seventeen that the occupier or servant is eighteen or over – this was inserted by SI 2010/1759. Section 57(4) of the 1968 Act defines “premises” as including any land. The effect of the provision is to allow a person visiting a private land to borrow and use a rifle without a certificate. The exemption does not extend to persons under the age of seventeen or to other types of firearm. There is no notification required on the loan of a firearm under these circumstances. A borrowed rifle should not be specifically identified as such on a “keeper’s” or “landowner’s” firearm certificate. The term “in the presence of” is not defined in law but is generally interpreted as being within sight or earshot.

Thank you , that's about as clear as legal speak can be. Looks like he will have to wait a bit.

Andy

If there is no accident and its not blathered all over Facebook then no one really cares, I think it's great for young guns to get into the sport and its something basc should address to fetch it more inline with shotgun shooting.

Archived