17 Rem Fireball

Anyone on here currently shooting a 17 Rem Fireball? My project rifle will hopefully be born in a few weeks when Dasherman has worked his magic and looking for a heads up re load data etc.

Sako A1 action and Pac Nor 1-9 barrel (stock still to be decided upon as I would like synthetic if there is such a thing for the A1 action)

Hi. I have a 17 Mach IV which is on a Sako L461 action PacNor 1 in 9 twist and PacNor chambered. There is lots of reloading data at saubier dot com but be warned - read the rifle to rifle load differences post first.

I started using Benchmark and working loads were quoted at 18-18.5gns with a 25gn bullet. So I started at 17.5 gns behind a 20gn Vmax which seemed OK went up in steps and ran into pressure problems at around 17.8gns i.e. heavy bolt lift and cases very difficult to extract (read wedged in).

I rechecked everything - turned the necks, made sure there was 2 thou clearance on loaded rounds etc. made sure the case neck length was slightly short and seated the bullet well off the lands. Still got pressure problems at below 18 gns powder. I think I settled at 17.4gns which was accurate and certainly does the job on rabbits.

I have been playing with 25gn Hornady hollow points this weekend and get case extraction problems at around 17gns Benchmark which is well off the 18-18.5gns quoted by some loaders. I have come to the conclusion that my batch of Benchmark is just 'hot' or something about the rifle/chamber configuration makes it hot.

One of the post over at Saubier tells of two 17's cut with the same chamber and the one rifle was running a grain less powder than the other - same powder type but different batches!!

Start off low and work them up very slowly and methodically - I go in 0.2 or 0.3 gn steps - and double check everything especially the scales, the little 17s are sensitive little souls. Fun though.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike, will certainly be starting low. I hope to be using 25grn fodder with H322 to start with as I know of someone with this combo.

I can't wait now and hope Dasherman can do the business for me. I will keep you posted on progress.

Paul

dasherman can certainly build an accurate rifle for you, have no fear of that.

Archived