Dilemma , replacing 17hmr

Guys , im struggling to decide what to go for as my renewal due . My main calibers 20 practical and 6mmBR for varmint and fox . I was considering a wildcat 17 bee but realize thats going to be to difficult for a number of reasons . Ideally it would have the hmr ballistics and ideally 17 again . For a 150 yard varmint rifle . But not fox . 17 hornets screaming YES but i not sure , i know some may say 17 rem but its too much like my 20 practical , too much powder and oomph for 150 . I did think hm2 but there aint much followers / feedback in this country anyway . Im almost set to go 17 or 22 hornet or maybe 20 hornet ? Whatever it ends up being , i need flat fast leightweight bullets for corvid and general varminting rifle ! Any suggestions thanks .

I have HM2 as well as 17 Rem and a 1:7 twist 223 for longer plinking. I actually trust the Rem more than the HM2 when it comes to safe shooting. 20g bullets from the Rem at 4400 vs 17g at 2100 fps makes the slower HM2 more likely to ricochet. In fact I've had a few that have made my cringe. None from the 17 Rem. The HM2 IMO is a 100yd gun. Any breeze at all and it's very inconsistent at ranges in excess of 100. Also at 100 it's doing 0.75-1MOA so go to 125 and things are getting tricky when trying to pop a magpie that you have one shot at. I'd always use the Rem unless there were hundreds of rabbits to take out. Hope that helps.

Ps the 20 prac throwing 32's would be a good closer range safe gun.

Archived