Cleaning Problems

Hi Guys

Please help - I am attempting to clean my rifles after each use andmy normal procedure is

1 x brush

1 x patch soaked in Hoppes pushed through and then clean patches until clean

however on my .223 and my .300 I am finding it extremely difficult to get the patches through alomst impossible. I am afraid to force the issue in case I cause any damage.

What should I be using and where can I get them from

Not enough I'm afraid, soak the brush and pass it through several times 5-6 is ok. then leave to soak for at least 15-20 mins, run wet brush through sgain, leave a couple of mins then patch out until dry, bobs your uncle. A major clean would be this repeated again.

Redfox

I've been doing this for years and am still not completely sure of the right way. However here are some thoughts:

1) You've spent a lot on the rifle; use good cleaning kit. Treat brushes as disposable items. As soon as they get loose in the bore chuck them away. Use a good bore guide. Mike Lucas are the best I've found (look for details on 6mmBR.com) and Mike is good to deal with. Get a good cleaning rod (Dewey or Tipton). Use a pierce jag and proper patches (not 4x2). The patches should not be too tight in the barrel.

2) my rifles with custom barrels clean easily. Conversely my 303s take a literally week to clean and half a bag of patches. Each rifle is different.

3) give chemicals time to work. This means knowing what you're using: the cleaners that have a high ammonia content should not be left in the barrel for long as they can etch the steel - personally I use these only to test to see if there's any copper left in the barrel not as cleaners per se. Some cleaners are water-based and they seem to work well but I wouldn't want to leave them in a non-stainless barrel for long periods. Forrest Bore Foam works really well but gets everywhere: I'd hate to let any of it settle into the locking lugs area never mind the bedding.

4) Take special care not to damage the crown.

Hope this helps.

Cornishman

cheers guys,

Silent, I am having Kals T3 Tactical of him as soon as we can get together, I will bring me baby bang sticks and my 300 and you can sort me out wiv all of my problems, I have ordered some A Max 208g for my .300 - just to play, I have a tub of RL22 ready and waiting.

I will give you a shout soon and I can arrange to come down :P:P

Archived