Good loads for 6.5x55 27" target barrel

CRD

• 2 weeks later...

could anyone please help with some good accurate loads they have used in 6.5 x55 with a 27" barrel 1 in 10 twist

Hi

I have a CG63 6.5x55 with a 27" barrel. I have a good load which works great, Lapua Scenar L136gr. Vit N550 41.3gr

Are you sure it's a 10-inch twist barrel? The norm is eight for target orientated rifles. If it's a ten, you have a big problem as there's barely a 6.5mm match bullet out there that is fully stabilised in this twist rate. The old and relatively blunt 140gn Sierra MK might suit - it's such a relatively low BC bullet, Litz doesn't cover it in his books on long-range bullets or provide measurements, so I'd have to measure the length of a couple to see what rate they need.

If a 10", that SMK aside, the best possibilities would be the Nosler 123gn CC with an Sg around 1.4 in a 10-inch twist and its 140gn big brother at ~1.25 Sg. (1.5 and above are optimal, 1.2-1.5 will shoot OK but with loss of aerodynamic efficiency which has the same effect as reducing BC values.)

• 4 weeks later...

Are you sure it's a 10-inch twist barrel? The norm is eight for target orientated rifles. If it's a ten, you have a big problem as there's barely a 6.5mm match bullet out there that is fully stabilised in this twist rate. The old and relatively blunt 140gn Sierra MK might suit - it's such a relatively low BC bullet, Litz doesn't cover it in his books on long-range bullets or provide measurements, so I'd have to measure the length of a couple to see what rate they need.

If a 10", that SMK aside, the best possibilities would be the Nosler 123gn CC with an Sg around 1.4 in a 10-inch twist and its 140gn big brother at ~1.25 Sg. (1.5 and above are optimal, 1.2-1.5 will shoot OK but with loss of aerodynamic efficiency which has the same effect as reducing BC values.)

Got it all wrong (again)!

It is in fact a 9 inch twist barrel

Got it all wrong (again)!

It is in fact a 9 inch twist barrel

Archived