Nice weekend playing on cut fields.

craigyboy

Got home on friday to find the silage had been cut behind my house, I had been waiting for ages for it too be cut. I setup from my usual vantage point with the .22lr for the close ones and the tac20 for the further ones.

sniping spot not 20 yards from my house

DigitalCamera294.jpg

I must have took over 20 crows from this point, twas great craic the 40g v-max was up to its usual tricks, its a bugger to clean up the bits of rook after but its worth it to see the explosion, the bugger about shooting rooks on cut fields is you have to run out and clean up the mess as if they see one of there own scattered across the field for some reason they dont want to land :lol:

heres one hit with the tac20 at around 200 yards, sort of half a crow really(on its good side)

DigitalCamera289.jpg

I was mighty impressed with my sako .22lr been ages since I brought it out but it never missed a beat, furthest shot was taken this evening with it at 135 yards, shot further with it but it was long enough the tiny .22lr and for the wind that was blowing.

DigitalCamera293.jpg

Also yesterday evening when the crows stopped coming I went to another farm and decided I would push the range abit as the wind was down, I missed 2 rabbits at just under 600 yards the first miss was 4 inches over the top and after I adjusted for that I got caught out by a little brezze that had picked up and I went wide of the mark, ill get it next time. The famer came down for a while with me and spotted for me through the binos, he guided me onto a maggie sitting at 440 yards on a post, I made all the neccesary corrections and before I pulled the trigger I said to the farmer I wasnt felling too confident about it, next thing boom I hit the bugger, couldnt believe it the farmer left me suitably impressed (as was I :lol: ) No pics though as I forgot the camera, I only have the farmer to bear witness to the shot, I will have to take him everywhere with me for a while to tell people that I really did do it :D

had a great weekend, hope everyone else did.

Guest martin

Why are you shooting rooks mate,they are the farmers friend,they eat the leather jackets.It's crows you should be shooting.................Martin.

I am shooting rooks because I can, I can pretty much do whatever I want provided I stay within the law :angry: , perfectly aware that the rooks eat the daddy long legs and that daddy long legs eat the roots of the grass etc but considering there a hundreds upon hundreds of rooks around here I dont think 20 of them going missing will be a big blow to the eco system :D. I do shoot crows as well mate. Thanks for your advice :rolleyes:

Good goinig Craig your stretching the range out nicely with that rifle.

We're still waiting for them to get on the silage round here, they should be cutting soon.

Cheers

Dave

God point dave why are they still on the pest species list, probably because as well as eating leather jackets up they also like to gobble up grain on newly sewed fields :rolleyes: I will keep shooting them when I can anyhow.

Archived