Hardy moderators for heavy barrels

Can anyone help I was wanting a hardy gen v moderator to fit a varmint barrel (0.890 at the muzzle) but the internal radius of my currant hardy v is 0.875 do hardy make a moderator for a heavy/varmint barrel with a larger internal radius? enquired with my gunsmith and he seems to think not. I was wanting to save some weight and go for a lighter/shorter mod! has anyone any advice or alternative options? Re profiling the barrel was one option but a bit drastic! Thanks

Rob

I bought a Barrett 338 last year that came with a Hardy mod....no internal bush just machined with the minimal clearance to go over the barrel....must be that there is no room for a bush but seems to work fine ,doesn,t appear to mark the barrel either....

I had a gen 4 m18 thread, internal clearace was 22mm and it brushed my barrel. Riflecraft had ones in stock with a larger clearance but you had to ask specially for them, the 22mm ones even brush a factory sako/tikka/blaser varmint barrel which are what the m18 ones were sold as being for. Use a jetz now, the hardy was light/short but it was very loud and didnt reduce recoil much. I wouldnt have another or deal with riflecraft again.

I use a hardy on my heavy barrelled 6xc and have no issues with the mod touching the barrel, however as pointed out the jet z does reduce the recoil and noise more than the hardy. My 6xc is used for a bit of informal range work and stalking, it is light and doesn't add much to the overall length but I am not sure how it would stand up to heavy use i.e. long shot strings.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a hardy on my heavy barrelled 6xc and have no issues with the mod touching the barrel, however as pointed out the jet z does reduce the recoil and noise more than the hardy. My 6xc is used for a bit of informal range work and stalking, it is light and doesn't add much to the overall length but I am not sure how it would stand up to heavy use i.e. long shot strings.

How heavy is your barrel? What diameter is at the rear of the moderator?

Archived