Trip to Wales

grasshopper

Well i did a long write up,then proptly lost it when adding the photo,s..so heres the short version.

Down at Tulky`s this weekend to do some foxing..bless him the old fart,he can,t seem to manage anymore!

So me and Stewy(my mate-yep i have 1)headed south,met up with Paul and Rob then went to find our digs.Got refused at the 1st b&b i phoned was ok till i mentioned Pauls name..they said he interfered with the livestock last time he came to pick up a guest :blush:

Picked out a likely area and waited for dusk.

Called a pair of fox out after dark,but no shot so had a drive around and ended at a golf course.No joy with the lamp,saw some but no shot,so out came about £8,000 worth of NV & the Fox-Pro caller(we are a dedicated bunch :) ).Vixen call brought in a dog fox that Paul spotted and directed me onto,this was dropped at around 200yds with my .22 250 and Archer NV.

SS100256-1.jpg

Then we got Rob onto 1 at about 180yds with the NV,but he missed it!Set up was a little too different for him.

On the way back too the motor,Rob lamped a vixen in some Gorse,Stewy got set on the fence,the fox started to head off,it was stopped with a squeak and duely dropped with the .243

SS100259-1.jpg

We went shopping then long range bunny bashing on Saturday.Really opened my eyes to what the centrefires are really capable of..cheers lads.Got a few at distance,then with Pauls help,i seriously scared 1 at 450yds.

We then dropped Rob off.....Chinese food and lager were better company than us :P can,t argue with that :D

We were late getting back to where we called out the 2 the previous night,as 1 was already in the field when we got there.Undeterred we got set up under a tree about 170yds from the wood and waited,not too long though,as Stewy spotted a fox working his way along a similar route as the night before.When about 130yds out,he squeaked,it stopped,i shot and it dropped!NV worked again.

SS100260-1.jpg

Paul was then set up on the NV and although the vixen apeared,she was not having it and no shot was on.

So we went over the river and eventually got onto a fox that seemed to be lying up under a hedge on the brow of a hill about 250yds away.No amount of calling would shift her,so we moved along the field and in line with her.Again she would just look up until Paul said give me the "hand job" i said you can have the hand call and that,s all ;)

A couple of squeaks,leave it 20 seconds,lamp on and theres foxy,about 120yds away coming like a train!Stewy lines up,Paul shouts OI twice to stop her and we wait,and wait,eventually we hear "crack"-"thump" and ask what happened...safety on hee hee

She was lying as she dropped,not even a twitch

SS100263-1.jpg

We were back the next morn as Stewy had left his sound mod in the field...more piss taking :D

Back to Paul`s for coffee,scrounged some pressies off him(cheers mate )

then headed north very satisfied with another good trip to Wales.

Paul and Rob are 2 cracking lads and if you get the chance to visit them,you will get some good shooting :) unfortunately,i am booked in for the rest of this year and next so tough :P;)

A cracking writeup and good to hear you guys enjoyed your time away!!!! :):blush:

Always nice to go somewhere new to hunt!!!!!

All the best................

RAY.............................. :);)

Great read mate you say you are dedicated sounds more like you got to much cash £8,000 ,but there again there are quite a few with to much cash on here i must be doing something wrong,anyhow good shooting there

Great read mate you say you are dedicated sounds more like you got to much cash £8,000

Wish it was all mine,but sadly not.Was collectively about that much :lol:

Hope you had your passports stamped :lol:

Good write up and great pictures glad you enjoyed our lovely country,

What piece of nigh vision kit you using at 8000 I seen a few Kites in my time but there about 6000max there is a hensolt bit of kit but that aint even that kind of money :lol:

What piece of nigh vision kit you using at 8000 I seen a few Kites in my time but there about 6000max there is a hensolt bit of kit but that aint even that kind of money :lol:

It was the combined price of the kit we were using

1 Maxi kite

1 Starlight - Archer

1 Foxpro caller

2 rifles, lamps, etc, etc

Archived