Mixing the same powder but different lots

Gbal,

Sorry you misunderstood my post, it was in reply to the topic of mixing the same powder but different lots. The second paragraph relates to your concerns about mixing two different powders (I presume you meant different brands or burning speeds)

One,you may eventually make a mistake and add Powder B to Powder A....all has to be ditched.

So just to clarify I wasn't trying to advocate mixing different brands or burning speeds, only between lots of the same powder and that

anybody who can't distinguish between different types of powder or burning speeds, whether simply filling a powder hopper or mixing between lots shouldn't be in the business of handloading.

Happy?

Safety is obviously the order of the day whenever reloading, but George's comment now highlighted in blue sums it up for me.

What does spring to mind though, would be whether breaking the seal on several tubs of powder, would mean when I got to my last tub, would it have degraded at a quicker rate due to the break in the original "foil type" seal?

Although I appreciate it depends on how much you use, and mixing quantities accordingly.

Jamie

Safety is obviously the order of the day whenever reloading, but George's comment now highlighted in blue sums it up for me.

What does spring to mind though, would be whether breaking the seal on several tubs of powder, would mean when I got to my last tub, would it have degraded at a quicker rate due to the break in the original "foil type" seal?

Although I appreciate it depends on how much you use, and mixing quantities accordingly.

Jamie

Jamie,just to clarify-the 'blue' is Leeman's comment not mine.I think mixing is an inadvisable practice. I would not go anywhere near as far as say that mixing same batch powder should disqualify a reloader-just that to me ,it makes no sense,and risks confusion somewhere down a slippery slope,perhaps with someone else making a mistake....

I note Bradders comment on the "AR bolt" .... mistakes are made....and "Kaboom" isn't a nice word.

george

Archived