Lapua Palma Brass

Panda

Hi folks. I'm after some advice from the more knowledgeable than me on this forum.

I've been using normal Lapua brass in my .308 with 185 Juggernauts pushed by Viht N150. As the brass is getting to the end of its useful life, I've treated myself to a new box of Palma brass to use instead. I was wondering what differences would I expect to see with my load using the Palma vs. normal Lapua brass?

Cheers.

You'll likely need to increase the charge slightly to achieve the same MV. Around half a grain is common. Use a magnum or BR SR primer. Refine your charges again for best precision, best dropping a grain or two and working up in 0.3 or 0.4gn steps to a bit above your present load.

The two Lapua models have the same neck thickness and internal capacities, so the differences are solely in the igntition department. Remember too that you'll need to change the decap pin on your 308 sizer die to the smaller diameter type used for the BRs, PPCs and '47 Lapua as the standard model will likely stick in a Palma case flash-hole or break. (All other 308 brass use 2mm flash-holes, the Palma model 1.5mm as in the aforementioned models.)

There is a chance of reduced MVs and poorer performance in very cold conditions (under 5-deg C) although N150 is less affected than most powders.

Thanks for the post Laurie. Once again most informative. I'm going to use CCI BR2s as I already have plenty for my 6BR. I have to admit I never even thought about the decap pin.......I think a phone call to Spud wil be in order.

Archived