which calibre help

Guest cyprinuschris

Guest cyprinuschris

Good evening everyone is it possible to have your recommendations please i am in the fortunate position to put in for a variation after being given the opportunity to stalk, the land as been passed for high calibres just asking what your suggestions would be for a first time c/f rifle owner but not of using a c/f. I am torn between rather a 25-06 or a 6.5x55 the stalking is mainly woodland with some open hill, roe and sika are on the land also I am looking at a calibre for foxing was looking at the .17 remington please could you advise me which to get thankyou in advance

Good evening everyone is it possible to have your recommendations please i am in the fortunate position to put in for a variation after being given the opportunity to stalk, the land as been passed for high calibres just asking what your suggestions would be for a first time c/f rifle owner but not of using a c/f. I am torn between rather a 25-06 or a 6.5x55 the stalking is mainly woodland with some open hill, roe and sika are on the land also I am looking at a calibre for foxing was looking at the .17 remington please could you advise me which to get thankyou in advance

Why no replies lads?.

You sound like you are probably from a foriegn country, from your name maybe Cyprus. Of the two calibers you suggest for deer either will be fine. If you can get the authority then they will also be very good fox stoppers as well.

For foxes up to 250 yards using smaller calibers then anything from .204/.221 Fireball/.222/ .223 will be fine. .17 Rem will do the job but is I am told may be prone to more wind drift than the others. Over 250 yards then 22.250, .220 Swift. Of course if you reload then the world is your oyster, they are all sorts of Wildcats and semi wildcats that will do a better job than a factory round.

A

Go with the Swede if you have Sika on your ground, 140g SSTs are good Sika medicine. The 25-06 is a good cal but you need a heavier bullet than it can offer especially in a woodland environment.

17 Rem is lovely little noise maker, great on all vermin. ;)

Archived