another game of cat and mouse

foxshot

picture027az4.jpgHad another request the other day to sort out a chicken thief,two of the alotment owners where i live have lost quite a few chickens over a couple of night's,so it was out with the lamp just after dark,i had a rough idea where the fox was comeing from so that was the first area lamped,and sure enough a fox came trotting along a field heading towards the alotments,i attempted to cut it off but it must have got wind of me and off it went back in the direction it came from so the chase was on yet again,i think this was the fox i was after a while ago as it was acting the same,three times i got down for a shot and three times it buggerd off before i got the cross hairs on it,i knew it wasnt going to be a walk in the park shot but at the fourth attempt it stoped on the side of a thick dyke about 200 yds away got down eventualy got steady on it and sent the 50 gr nosles on its way and down it went,thank bloody god for that i thought,it was quite a bit harder as well because i had to change the bipod to the larger one because of the long grass,only downside was it was a vixen,

Nice one buddy ;) ,I have had an evening very similar, a mate has a game farm and has a few charlies about so been dowm before dark and nailed 3 :P .

Going back later after it has had time to settle down a bit, :D

This will likely seem a foolish question but humor a Yank whose totally unfamiliar with your hunting methods and local custom, why do you seem sorry to have to take a female fox? Is it concern over the possible wiping out of the species? I'm just curious, and as I said not familiar with your situation, thanks for your time.

Gerald

Gerald,

the reasons for the concern on the animals sex, relates to the welfare of any orphaned cubs.

Trying to be as humane as possible people don't have any worries with the males but they can be hard to differentiate from the females. Some vixens shot around this time of the year and earlier will be producing milk which is obviously a bad sign from this perspective.

thanx for the replies, from the looks of it the cubs had been weaned,so hopefuly there will be a dog fox feading them,

Its unfortunate foxshot, but foxes are foxes, if they need to be controlled then they must,

i wouldnt have any wories about shooting vixens at this time of year, all the cubs i have seen this week, ;) (on somewhere i cant shoot) are well on their way to independancy.

Good shooting, nice rifle.

Archived