.308 Just for NV

beno

I am looking at getting another .308 for a dedicated NV rig.

Reason for .308 is for boar sometimes. Mostly will be used for fox though. (Already have .22-250 as day/lamp rig)

Looking at getting a Tikka Super Varmint in terms of recoil with this how bad would it be? My .308 Sako 75 (sporter barrel) I have at the moment is quite tame with a atec maximum mod. So was thinking the super varmint would be like a pussy cat, will go with a heavy as possible mod, possibly a wildcat.

Does any one have a .308 Super Varmint and how does it perform? I've havd a few Tikkas before and they've been great.

I have a Tikka T3 Super Varmint 20" in a KRG X-Ray stock. This combination handles recoil very well as-is without moderator/brake, however when the Mod (TET Spartan III) is fitted the recoil becomes hardly noticable.

efaff2ebcf4eee1e450ef139f47ab7c6.jpg

It's an extremely nice rifle to shoot and with excellent accuracy.

NV wise the 2015 DP wins hands down, and with the colour display even good enough for day use. x8 or x10 are best for fox. DP is a x10.

NV, whatever you get, then 260m plus backstop is the practical range. Some have pulled off longer shots but they are "chancing" it; its their call on the night.. Range estimation is tricky but to 260m its either close, medium or on the edge. Flat shooting calibre's are a real advantage though a couple hold points from some practice can be done but its not as easy as it is in daylight. Marksmanship is harder and familiarity with the kit are the most important things to sort as there is no bright crisp daylight sight picture with NV. Don't hurry, make one good shot of it.

.308 is just enough for UK Wild Pig... Sorry Wild Boar. Have them on my patch. My next rifle will be a 300WSM.

A dedicated night rifle just needs to shoot straight to 300m, not 1000m. Varmint, medium heavy, is an advantage as the scopes are bulky and weighty and throw the balance if on a sporting weight rifle... just less stable. Basically, the better shooting platform and the more solid the rifle the better. Fine focusing the NV and all that night time faffing then you need all the stability you can get. No match feather triggers either, so at least 2.5-3lbs. Plus, don't know why but night kit really gets a beating.

Anyhow, I wouldn't spend a fortune on the rifle, a AI would be wasted. A Tikka, or Rem 700 would do it, even second hand (plenty of gun cabinet queens out there). Picatinney rails are mandatory, and check the rifle bolt lift is compatible.

Anyone looking for a Day / Night Gen 2+ Super, x6 mag, then give me a shout (tad over 1K).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived