.223 build

In the planning stage of putting a custom .223, as my previous thread has indicated. My previous experiences of .223s have been Sakos, which have dedicated action sizes and detachable magazines.

My plan is probably along the lines of a borden action (Alpine), with obviously the appropriate bolt face. But my question relates to the "magazine" system, is a detachable magazine better in feeding rounds of this calibre, or will a hinged Floorplate system work fine.

I would prefer either a flush detachable mag, like the Sakos or a hinged plate system,from an aesthetics point of view. Or are the Sakos the best overall option for what I am trying to achieve?

Regards,

MB

MB,I have Sakos with hinged floor plate and det box mag.There is no difference at all in feeding-it's excellent.Det box mag has other conveniences in loading rounds.

Last comment is not quite clear-what are you trying to achieve?

The Sako's I've had (A1,two 75s) were .3 moa,sometimes better esp for 3 shots (222/223/6ppc)-all three together (not new) cost less than a custom action alone.My Stolle 6PPC will shoot .1 moa better than the trio,on an excellent day.It would cost about 4 times as much to build as the trio together (but is a non starter as a field rifle,being too heavy,and there is no discernible performance advantage -except in competition conditions-at short range,though that's a cartridge thing.) Custom is very nice,but not needed for field performance in a carry rifle,especially,but do not compromise at all on it's barrel.

gbal

Archived