Powder Choices?

jay666d

This year I'll be working up a new load for 'long range' plinking!

I plan to shoot .224 80Gr bullets thru a 1in7 twist barrel...

I have H4895 & Vit N140 to hand, but wondered if anybody had had really good success with any other powders?

I expect I'll get a lot of people mentioning Varget, it seems to be the internets choice... But I'm looking to use something that is readily available. (I'll happily use Varget if the drought is over!)

Many thanks guys & gals!

RL-15 is exceptional. Shoots with Varget but the pressure is a bit lower so you can save your primer pockets or bump it up .2gr or so and sneak an extra 30-50fps out if it.

I have had great results with both Varget and RL-15. 2000MR is showing to be right with RL-15 and it's flake instead of extruded so if you throw your charges this could be the way to go.. I haven't done enough testing to say if it's better but if you can get it I would say it's worth a try.

This is all out of personal AR-15s but my friends 30" 7 twist Barnard shoots exceptional (bugholes) with the same RL-15 load with both 80SMKs and 80.5 Bergers, his service rifle shoots it as well as all three of mine. Maybe better.

I am using N140 in my .223 AI shooting 80 grain Amax, they have a real hig BC. In fact the manufactures quoted BC us underestimated according to Brian Litz's and my own testing

• 2 weeks later...

This year I'll be working up a new load for 'long range' plinking!

I plan to shoot .224 80Gr bullets thru a 1in7 twist barrel...

I have H4895 & Vit N140 to hand, but wondered if anybody had had really good success with any other powders?

I expect I'll get a lot of people mentioning Varget, it seems to be the internets choice... But I'm looking to use something that is readily available. (I'll happily use Varget if the drought is over!)

Many thanks guys & gals!

I use h4895 and find it to be excellent for the heavier bullets in my 223.

Thanks for the all the input guys, I appreciate it!

Although N140 is a bit cheaper, I'm going to stick with the H4895 because as well as being readily available at the moment, I've had very results with my 70Gr.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the all the input guys, I appreciate it!

Although N140 is a bit cheaper, I'm going to stick with the H4895 because as well as being readily available at the moment, I've had very results with my 70Gr.

H4895 works really well with cci 400 primers. I have had really good results with hornady 53 vmax and 75gr bthp. Loaded at 26.3 grains for the 53s and 24.5 for the 75s.

Archived